Race You To The Cornucopia

"Well that's bad luck." Mr. Flickerman says sadly. "I wish you all the best of luck in the games. Mr. Peeta Mellark." I shake his hand and walk off stage. As I leave I feel pretty good about my performance and I can tell everyone else is too.

  "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!" Katniss screams pinning me against the wall, with her forearm on my neck. "You don't talk to me and then you say you have a crush on me! You say you wanna train alone is that how you wanna play. Let's go right now!" She yells spitting in my face. Apparently not everyone liked my performance. I can feel her arm putting more pressure on my neck making it impossible to breathe.

  "Stop it!" Haymitch yells pulling her off. I take in a huge breath and put my hands on my knees. "He did you a favour."

  "He made me look weak!"

  "No, he made you look desirable. Which in your case can't hurt sweetheart."

  "He's right Katniss." Cinna adds.

  "Of course I'm right. Now I can sell the star crossed lovers from district twelve-"

  "We are not star crossed lovers."

  "It's a television show! And being in love with that boy" He says motioning to me. "may just get you the sponsers, that could save your damn life! Ok, why don't you get out of here," I do as Haymitch says and leave with Portia. "maybe I can deliver you both in one peice tomorrow."

  "Manners!" Effie screams. I walk upstairs and go straight to my room since we had dinner before we left. I hear Katniss slam her door as I lay down, and I know that there is no way I can fall asleep. I sneak out of my room to find the apartment surprisingly dark and the only light coming from near by buildings. There's a window ledge big enough for me to sit on so I take it's silent invitation.

  There's a clock behind me thats ticking away, making it hard to think. But with two other brothers and contantly bickering parents back home I've learned to manage noises.

  "You too?" Someone whispers from the direction of the clock. I turn to see Katniss in a nightgown and robe with her arms folded across her chest.

  "Oh hey." I say deeper than usual.

  "Can't sleep?" She asks coming over to the window.

  "Course not."

  "Sorry I went after you."

  "You know I ment that as a compliment."

  "I know." She sits down next to me and we listen to the roar of the crowds down below. "Listen to them." She says after a while.

  "Ya. I just don't want them to change me." I say, which is the truth.

  "How would they change you?"

  "I don't know, turn me into something that I'm not. I just don't want to be another peice in their games, you know?"

  "You mean you wont kill anyone?" She asks almost sadly.

  "No. I mean I'm sure I would just like anyone else when the time came, but I just keep thinking of a way to show them that they don't own me. Y-you know if I'm gonna die, I want to still be me." I take a pause and look to see Katniss with a sad expression on her face. "That make any sense?"

  "Ya." She replys immediately. "I just can't afford to think like that, I have my sister." I nod my head and sigh.

  "I geuss I'll see you tomorrow than?" She nods.

  "Race you to the cornucopia?" I nod back.

  "May the odds be ever in your favour." I say in my best Effie accent as I walk away. I reach my bedroom door and think about what I've been preparing for the games all along, and know I'm going to need practice.