Prologue: salvation

Third person POV:

Inside the darkened facility nothing stirred, nothing moved and nothing lived. All of the personal at Fleet-Way Junction had been mercilessly killed by an unknown hostile force, the only evidence of this being the blood that stained the walls and floors, until only one remained. This man was a simple marine, who had been taken by ONI (Office of Naval Intelligence) to guard the alien artifacts that had been discovered on a floating wreck, a derelict Corvette cruiser of Covenant design.

Only to discover that the cruiser was anything but a floating pile of scrap.

It started with the military personal that were charged with guarding the relics. That the engineers that worked on the vehicles and stations defences, then it eventually started killing everyone. They never saw it, they never heard it and they never stood a chance against it. The marine was on his way to the Hangar bay, in the hopes that he could escape this hellhole, and return to his family, his wife and his infant son that he hadn't ever seen.

That was when he heard it. The echo of heavy boots against metal, getting closer and closer to his position. In a panic, he quickly opened a nearby vent as quietly as he could and crawled in and quickly slid the vent cover back in with a quiet thud.

He waited

And waited

And waited some more, until the only thing he could hear was the sound of is own racing heart beat and ragged breathing. Slowly he leaned forward to look out of the vent cover to try and see his hunter. He looked left, that right, then left again but could see nothing.

???: "Why do you hide, creature? Face your death with HONOUR!" something roared from down the corridor

The marine stopped in his tracks, he didn't dare move, he didn't even dare to breath.

???: "Pathetic..." the hunter scorned

The voice sounded MUCH closer than what it had before. As he began to retreat deeper into the vents, he suddenly heard the sound of metal being ripped open and saw a shimmer in the air as an unseen hand grabbed him by the throat and effortlessly pulled him out of the vent.

???: "Found you..." the hunter growled

The marine had never been more scared in his entire life, he could see his entire life flashing before his eyes, the wife and child he would never see again, the friends he had made and lost, all of it.

Maine: "W-w-who, what a-are y-you?" The man gasped out as the creature tightened its grip on his throat.

???: "you wish to know my name?" the creature scoffed

Lur' Thress: "My name is Lur' Thress, though I doubt that you will know it for long..." he said as he suddenly became visible.

The marine stared in horror as he looked down at an Elite, Zealot-class Covenant trooper. The elite wore the standard Zealot-class armour of the Covenant, but the main colour being steel-grey with crimson red accents running down his arms, legs and chest. His face showed multiple scars, including one that ran down his left eye. But it was the belt of the elite that caught the man's attention, hanging from a sort of pin on his belt were at least twenty dog tags, but one caught his eye. It was marked with the UNSC and Spartan II logos, and had only part of it was readable:

Sp-r-an II designat-on: Nob-e S-x.

The marine heard the elite chuckle, as it had caught him staring at his 'trophies' and used his free hand to pat the dog tags. They jingled together under his four-fingered hand.

"Ah, you have seen my Tokens to the Fallen, eh?" He chuckled again, this time deeper in his throat, almost a growl.

Lur' Thress: "These belong to the warriors who I have slain with my own hands..." he states while loosening his grip on the marine's neck a little, allowing him to breath a little easier.

Lur' Thress: "...they fought to the bitter end, despite knowing they would die, in the hopes that their sacrifice will save the ones they care about..." there was something different in his voice now, it all most sounded like... admiration.

Lur' Thress: "I respect that... and I will grant them passage when the Great Journey begins. Sadly, that is not your fate..." his tone suddenly changing back too its normal, emotionless voice.

Lur' Thress: "You, and the rest of your kind will be left behind, only to marvel at our passage, not even what remains of your demons will survive, blackened and charred by the coming fire..." the elite preached, but as he did the man noticed a fire that burned deep in his eyes, but it wasn't one of faith or belief in what he was doing it seemed to be one of... hatred and anger.

Suddenly the elite placed his free hand on the side of his helmet and turned on his radio.

Lur' Thress: "This is Lur' Thress, speak!" he growled

The marine then saw the elite's eyes go wide and the same fire that was in his eyes reappeared, but with a grave new intensity.

Lur' Thress: "THEY WHAT!!" the elite roared, and the marine swore that the entire ship seemed to shake from the mere sound of his voice.

Lur' Thress: "UNFAITHFUL DOGS!" he roared, dropping the marine to the ground and turning away from him, walking back the way he came.

Lur' Thress: "PREPARE MY PERSONAL PHANTOM!" he thundered "I'LL BURN THEIR MUNGRAL HIDES MYSELF!!"

Marine: "w-w-wait, what about m-me..." the man stammered, clutching his bruised throat, the elite stopped and stared at him, looking him up and down before continuing.

Lur' Thress: "(sigh) You may come along, human as it seems that we are now allies..." he said the last part like it was sour in his mouth.

Marine: "Why, what has happened?" the man asked, getting to his feet.

Lur' Thress: "The ungrateful dogs that your kind refer to as 'Brutes' have been ordered by the Prophets to try and wipe out my species..." he said, bowing his head and sighed.

Suddenly the cruiser that was believed to be destroyed, roared to life, with the name plate 'Unshakeable Faith' appearing into view. Suddenly, the ship's guns aimed directly at the deck the two were on.

Lur' Thress: "Oh shi-" he started but never finished as a single Purply-black plasma bolt hit the station and seemed to crawl over the entire station and the station was forced into a random Slip Space jump.