Chapter Four

Wouldn't it be nice to have a family?

For the past two hours, I couldn't sleep, and I had just laid there on the couch, wondering. The dark accompanied my sleepless mind, until I suddenly heard something. A pound, like something hitting a wall. It came from the down hall. I stood up and growled under my breath. What the hell? Horror or not, I'm gonna beat up whatever is making that noise. I stood up, and threw the blanket down on the couch. Entering the hall, I finally figured out that the noise was coming from my room.

Rebecca.

Silently, I grabbed the door handle and twisted it. The door opened, creaking a little, and I peeked through. Rebecca was on my bed, face down in the pillows. I was about to leave, thinking that the noise was just my imagination. It was until I heard a sob that I stopped in my tracks. I peered over my shoulder, my grip on the door tightening. Once again, I heard another sob, and Rebecca's body seemed to twitch at the same time.

She was crying in her sleep. A small, strangled scream seemed to escape her throat, and my eyes widened.

What the hell is going on?

I closed the door behind me and walked towards her. Sitting down on the bed, I almost felt like waking her up. But that would've been rude, I guess. Maybe she's having nightmares? I almost screamed when she sat up straight suddenly, her eyes filled with tears and widened in.. terror. Sheer terror. That was the emotion in her eyes. She looked up and saw me sitting beside her. My eyes remained blank, holding no feelings.

"Why're you crying?" I asked quietly.

Rebecca seemed to have stopped in time. For the next few seconds, she just stopped. I almost thought she stopped breathing. Suddenly, she wrapped her arms around my torso, crying into my shirt. The warm tears were genuine. They weren't something to be brushed away. They were actual tears that struck heartstrings. My heart began beating rapidly. I haven't ever had to deal with a crying girl in a while, so this pretty much stunned me. Hesitantly, I hugged her back. She was saying words that didn't make any sense, and apologizing for something I've never heard about.

She saying gibberish like, "Don't hurt me!", "I'm sorry!", and/or just screaming as if someone had hit her.

"Rebecca," I said. I didn't try to whisper to her. "You're going to wake up the neighbors."

This only caused her to cry even more. Well then. I fucked up. Sighing, I laid down on the bed, pulling her beside me, and pulled the blanket over us. This seemed to have made her quiet down a little. Stupid. I rolled my eyes. Rebecca's arms tightened around me a little, and I took this as a mental note that she was still awake. After a few more minutes, she was quiet. Completely and utterly silent.

"Are you asleep now?" I asked.

No reply. Slowly, I moved my arm a little (the arm she had been hugging) and made her head tilt up a little. Her eyes were closed, and her face was dry of tears. Well fucking finally. I was about to get up, but Rebecca suddenly hugged my arm tightly, not letting me escape. Well fucking god. I sighed and growled a little. Rebecca seemed to smile in her sleep and snuggled her head towards my shoulder, her breath hitting my ear. I shivered a little.

Well fuck. Again.

I clicked my tongue and ripped her hands off my arm. She almost grabbed it again, until I held her close to me, my eyes on her hair.

How stupidly needy.

~~~

Ow.. my back.

I sat up, shaking my head slightly. My hair flew in different directions, some strands standing up straight. I looked over at Rebecca. She was sound asleep, hugging the pillow in her arms. This woman has a fucking death grip. Sighing, I stretched out my arms. A shocking pain hit my shoulder blade. OW FUCK, I PULLED A FUCKING MUSCLE. Clicking my tongue, I got off the bed and got ready for the day.

A shower.

A mental note to go out and buy some clothes for Rebecca, because no way is she living on just five outfits.

Call Miss Kim to talk about a raise.

She said "yeah" (thank god).

I was at the dining table, eating some waffles. Rebecca might want to go back home. I'll have to ask her about that. Coincidentally, I heard footsteps and looked over at Rebecca. Dressed up in one of my t-shirts, she rubbed her eyes and sat down on a chair across from me .

"I don't know if you're aware, but you're wearing one of my favorite shirts," I pointed out.

Rebecca looked down at the shirt on her torso. As if realizing, she slumped onto the table. "Uuugghh!! Give me a break. That bed of yours is made of damn steel."

I snickered. "What, rich girl? Can't handle living like the poor?"

She glared at me. Definitely not a morning person. "Oh shut it. I don't care whether you're rich or not. I just hope you don't decide to rape me."

I snickered again. "You never know." She whipped around at me, her hand clutching the fork tightly. I put my hands up. "Whoa! I was just kidding! Jesus Christ!"

Rebecca grumbled.

~~~

After snapping her out of the mood, I informed her about the shopping idea. This'll leave another dent in my money. I pulled on my black coat. Rebecca had grabbed her own coat and tugged it on. After a while, we headed out into the snow. Rebecca stayed close by my side.

"Do you know any cheap boutiques or something?" I questioned.

The slush of the snow was accompanied by the light wind singing. Rebecca looked up at the sky and thought. "I think there's a boutique nearby. I'm pretty sure I bought some clothes there before."

I rolled my eyes. "It better not be pricey."

Rebecca smiled enthusiastically and looped her arm through mine, tugging on me. Because she was shorter than I was, I was tugged downward. She skipped happily in the direction of the fancy-ass boutique.

"Don't worry!" She exclaimed. "I have a coupon that I brought! $100 off!"

What kind of fucking coupon is that?

"Alright, alright! Do you mind slowing down?!"