Chapter Twenty Three

"Miss Rebecca!" One of the maid's exclaimed. I looked up from my books. Reading was the only thing keeping my mind at ease as I tried to develop a plan to get Sam. "Your parents requested neat attire for dinner."

"Alright."

The maid went off quickly to inform my parents about me getting ready. Jumping off my bed, I stood in front of the mirror. I held myself tightly and breathed in, letting the air fill my lungs as I closed my eyes. Keep calm during this dinner. Do not yell. Do not scream. Most importantly, do not reveal your health issues to them. They may try to take advantage of it. Do not be mean; acting petty is acceptable. Letting go of a deep breath, I opened up my closet.

Let's do this.

~~~

"Where is Rebecca?"

"I'm here, Mama."

Standing at the foot of the steps, I breathed in when the three monsters turned to look over at me. My parents seemed content, and Xander was almost startled. I guess I couldn't blame him. I've never dressed up neatly in front of him before. I found myself cringing when Mama and I had similar taste in 'neat attire'. Fitted onto my body was a light pink dress, reaching down to my knees. It was long-sleeved, and a belt wrapped around my waist. Paired with a pair of black flats and a choker, my hair was left down.

"You look wonderful, dear," Mama said brightly, clapping her hands together.

I bowed my head a little, clenching my jaw to keep from spewing a petty insult. "Thank you."

I tried my best to ignore Xander's ogling hazel eyes. Maybe.. if I'm nice, he'll accidentally spill something. I felt my jaw clench a little more. Giving up my dignity would be a lot. But it will all be worth it. Looking over at Xander, I sufficed a genuine smile at him. I had to admit, he didn't look half bad in a suit. Maybe if I didn't know his shitty personality, he would've been an okay person to me.

"You seem amused by this, are you not?" I asked in a quiet voice, walking over towards him.

Xander's face flushed red instantly. "I— uh— I.. just never really, um—"

My eyes flickered at this a little. He's never stuttered before. Whenever I see him, he's more of a controlling lunatic. Looking away, I smiled slightly at his reaction. Maybe.. if there was any piece of innocent heart in him, he was just a flustered man looking for his best persona. I could almost feel Papa beam contently.

"We'll be leaving to a five-star restaurant," he announced. I turned around to look at him. Uncomfortably, Mama stood next to him with her head held high. "Rebecca, I expect you to be on your best behavior." I nodded. "There is to be no drama. If anyone in L.A. were to recognize us, don't make a bad face for the family."

Papa glanced at me.

I nodded once again, only this time, my eyes faded darkly. Hiding the identity of your daughter is a low blow, especially if you did that to cover up her suffering. I looked at Mama, and her eyes caught onto me. She had been crying a lot. It was clear to see that since her blue eyes seemed bloodshot red. She looked away, and a look of shame crossed her face.

Is she.. recognizing her mistakes?

A bubbly feeling in my heart disappeared when I remembered I couldn't keep my hopes up. Changes don't happen just like that. As guards were told that we could leave, Mama reluctantly held Papa's arm and walked out of the mansion. I heard a small awkward cough and looked over at Xander. His ears were pink, as if embarrassed. Outstretching his arm, he gave me a little smile. Of course, a little smirk was in it, but that was just how Xander was.

"If you don't mind, we should get going," he suggested.

My eyes sparkled a little as a smile graced my lips. "Of course." I put my hand on his arm, and we walked out.

I know I shouldn't think.

But Mama and Xander feel different today. Their touch.. isn't cold.

~~~

I sighed miserably. The whole time during dinner, Papa was only discussing the marriage with Xander's parents. It was brutally detailed. In addition to this, Mama looked uncomfortable to be sitting next to him. When she came back from the restroom, she sat down next to me instead and put her hand on mine. Her eyes were blazing with an unknown emotion when I looked up at her. She spent the day talking to Xander privately. I was left alone, and I didn't know what to do.

I feel horrible now. Everything is slowly getting to me. Knowing that Mama is uncomfortable with Papa now, it's disturbing me because she has to stay with him.

What else can she do?

Her romance story was everything she wanted, but it's being destroyed because of me.

Moreover, whatever she was discussing with Xander is something I'm gonna be paranoid about. What if they were talking about Sam? What if it's something bad?

I grabbed my blanket and hugged it tightly, sighing. Thinking too much really hurt. The further away Sam seemed to be, the more lonely and isolated I felt. It had only been a few hours, and yet I could feel the shadows consuming me already. Doctor Pat wasn't kidding when she said he improved my overall mood and health. Suddenly, I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in!"

Sitting up, the door opened. Xander came in, and I stood up immediately. The whole thing about dinner might have been a facade. I need to stand my ground just in case. I felt my hands clench into fists. Xander waved at me, gesturing for me to go towards him.

"If you don't hurry, I won't let you see that Samuel guy."

My eyes widened. "What?"

"Shh!" Xander hushed me quickly. He looked out the door, looking through the hallways. Turning back, he whispered, "Your parents are in a meeting, and the guards are on patrol right now, so we can go check out that guy who was with you."

"This has to be some childish prank you're pulling on me right now, right?" I asked.

Xander sighed and gave me a short stare. "Look. For now, we're in a situation where we are engaged, and I'm letting you see 'the man of your dreams'. Are you coming or not?"

For now?

I felt my cheeks redden when he put his fingers up, putting quotations around "the man of your dreams". I don't like him like that. I don't. Really. Xander and I remained silent. For a second, I held my breath. Do I? Clenching my fists, I walked up to Xander and punched him lightly.

"If you're pranking me, I won't hesitate to kill you," I muttered under my breath. "Let's go."