Chapter Thirty One

"Since we're further away from Olivia's hometown," I said, looking at the map in my hands, "We should get going. We can stop by a few places to eat while walking, and if you get tired, we'll take a taxi."

Rebecca, who was hugging the blue stuffed bunny in her hands, nodded, agreeing to the idea. "Okay!"

It was probably ten in the morning. The both of us had breakfast at the hotel, with the workers being nice enough to let us have extra. They knew about our current situation with trying to get away from her father, so they kept our location a secret. After finishing breakfast, we went back to our room and packed our things. I wanted to move on before Rebecca's father decided to search this place, trying to get further away. Picking up our bags, I handed the map to Rebecca, who held it in her hands.

We exited the hotel peacefully, thanking the staff, and headed out into the streets. The taxi driver was lucky enough to have driven us pretty far away, but on the map, it was still a little too close to comfort.

Needless to say, L.A. was still as busy as usual. At this hour, many people were already hanging around to explore and shop. Rebecca followed shortly behind me as I continued looking around. Lunch will be soon, so while we walk, maybe we should check out a few places and see what we can eat. I peered down at Rebecca, who was distracted by the sights of food as we passed by stores and small shops. She gets hungry quite easily, so we'll have to stop soon, won't we?

My hand clasped hers, and she didn't seem to notice. As we weaved through the crowd of people walking, I zoomed back into my mind, remembering what happened last night. It's probably too early for me to think about this, but I'm really curious as to what she wanted to say in that note. This itching feeling of her wanting to say she likes me is always scratching at my back, but I don't want to rudely assume something that might just be of my own wanting.

I want to ask her.

But I'm scared she'll think I'm becoming too attached.

We barely know each other.

All of our past actions were rash and idiotic, almost childish in a way. They were a spur of the moment kind of thing. After a few hours from now, I'm a little.. worried, that she's going to think she was wrong to run away from her only known home. She could have a much better life without me.

She could live with her mother.

She could marry Xander.

She could be financially stable again.

She doesn't need a clueless, poor, inhumane person to be with her.

She can do much better without me.

"Sam!!"

The sound of Rebecca's voice shook me out of my thoughts. I peered down at her, seeing her with an annoyed expression, her cheeks puffed out.

"Sorry," I apologized. "I was just.. thinking."

"I was going to suggest we cross the street soon," she said, propping a hand onto her hip as she held my hand tightly, "but since you're so busy thinking, I guess not."

I grinned slightly at her. "Wow. Your sarcasm is improving. I wonder who taught you such a thing."

She scoffed a little, rolling her eyes with a small smile on her lips. "Oh, yeah, what a mystery." She looped her arm through mine, looking up at me with her eyes shining. Shining.. so beautifully. "C'mon! On the map, there's a cute coffee shop we can stop by to eat at."

A coffee shop.

That's what started it.

"Ah, right," I said, looking up at the traffic light. "Sounds nice. Lead the way."

"Of course," she responded confidently.

~~~

After walking for a few minutes, I couldn't help but notice that a middle-aged man had been following us around. He made too many of the same turns, and the look on his face was far from unsuspecting. Maybe I was being paranoid, but it looked like he was.. following for the purpose of being around Rebecca? At first, I assumed that he was one of Rebecca's father's guards, keeping a track of us, but he just seemed to be more of a normal civilian preying on a woman. I stopped in my tracks, and I heard him do the same. Rebecca looked up at me, a little confused.

"What's wrong?" She asked in a puzzled tone. "The coffee shop is just a few blocks away."

"I know," I responded. I turned my head to look over my shoulder, my eyes piercing into those of the man. He noticed, his eyes widening, a little startled by the sudden knowing glare. "But I'm getting annoyed by the leech that's sticking to us."

Rebecca turned around, trying to follow my gaze. "What?"

"Hey, you!" I yelled out, attracting a few gazes from around us. The man took a step back, wary of my intentions of calling him out on the streets. "Stop stalking us or else I'll call the police, ya creep!"

Eyes followed my line of sight, staring in disgust at the man. He took another step back before running off, shoving people aside to escape the scrutinizing looks of those casting over him. Rebecca looked up at me, her hand tightening around mine. I glanced back at her, and she smiled gently.

"Don't go picking on people like that," she said softly. "Poor guy is probably embarrassed now. How mean."

"He better feel ashamed," I replied coldly, irked by the man's actions. She's only 19. In what fucking world is it okay for a man in his late 40s to shamelessly pick on a girl out of his league? How distasteful. "I want that embarrassment to sink into his bones until he can't forget about it."

"Slow down there, Shakespeare," Rebecca joked, laughing, "Don't get too violent now."

"Well, let's go now. How far is the coffee shop again?"

"Few blocks. Should be just up ahead."