Chapter Twenty Five

Rebecca Walker

When we had to leave, I felt my heart crushing. If anything, I really wanted to run away again. I wanted to save Sam. He was so confident in escaping, but a gloomy part of me wondered if he was relying on fake hope. With my head held high, I walked out of the West Wing with Xander on my tail. It was interesting. He didn't seem to say anything revolting as he usually would. In a sense, it was.. refreshing. He escorted me into my room, and before he could leave, I suddenly spoke up.

"Why are you acting so nice all of a sudden?" I asked aloud, letting him hear me.

Xander stopped where he was. His hands shoved into his jean pockets, and he turned around, giving me a solemn look. The glint of green in his hazel eyes reminded me of Sam.

"What?"

The word felt heavy in his voice.

"I don't need to repeat myself," I responded, giving him a stare. My arms stood straight as I felt a bubbling confidence in me.

Xander scoffed a little, a sudden short laugh as he tossed a look anywhere else but me. Peering back towards me, the same glint occurred. It was filled.. with so many emotions, almost too many to count. I sort of felt attacked in a way. Perhaps it was because he'd never been so emotional in front of me, evenly if it was so hidden and discreet.

"There are some things I never wanted to admit to myself," he said quietly. He stood up straight, facing me properly. "Like the fact that I was a monster towards you because of our parents' obsession with us marrying each other." My hands clenched into fists. Something hurts. "Or that you love someone else now. But it's those things that I know will haunt me for the rest of my days."

I gulped suddenly.

"You probably wouldn't understand," he muttered. He looked up, and I almost jumped out of my skin. His eyes were suddenly dark. "In every story, there's the victim. The hero. The one who's loved. That's you." I put my arms around my waist, hugging myself uncomfortably as he continued. "And then there's the villain. The evil one. The one that's hated." He looked down at the floor. "That's me."

"I don't.. think I understand what you're trying to say," I said, choking out the words."

"The villain always wants something," Xander said, sighing. "In this case, I wanted to fulfill my parents' needs. Whatever they want, it intercepts with the victim. But, in every story, the victim meets someone.. to help them. That's the Samuel guy." Seeing my confused expression, he shook his head, weary of explaining. "Rebecca. This means that I have lost you to Samuel. I understand that I can't even try to compete with him. I give up on you, for him." He almost seemed to force it out as he muttered, "You can get your own happy ever after."

"I can't," I replied, puzzled. "I'm forced to marry you, remember?"

Xander looked over at me, his eyes brightening. My eyes widened when he smiled. A smile so full of genuine happiness was facing me. "We'll see about that," he said.

Turning around, he walked towards the stairs. His arm raised up, and he waved, as if saying bye. For some reason, I felt blown back by it, and emotions ran high.

"Goodnight, Princess."

~~~

Xander Mulligan

I did it.

I finally said it.

"Hope," I whispered, entering my office. Rebecca's mother popped out from one of the bookshelves. "I told her yesterday."

Rebecca's mother's eyes widened, and she nodded quickly. "Yes, yes! Very well. We need to hurry up and think of something before Martin starts noticing." She scattered out the papers on my desk. "I think I found a place where they can get out without being caught, except for the fact that there are five guards outside."

"It's fine. Did you see what happened to the two that fought him?"

"Yes. It was horrible. But I don't think he can take five at once."

"It's fine."

"We need to move the date, or else this won't work."

"Don't worry. I can handle that."