Chapter Five

Ugh. What is this place?

"Yeah.." I said, trailing off, "I'm just gonna.. sit over there..."

Turns out the fancy ass boutique was fucking bright as hell. I could barely see anything! Clothes hung on racks that were scattered everywhere. Dressing rooms were near the cashier, in the back of the room. The walls were painted a beautiful ivory and gold. I shivered a little at the wolf head that hung from the wall. Is that supposed to be an aesthetic? Rebecca looked up at me, her eyes shining. Her hand let go of mine as she nodded.

"Okay!"

The saleswoman seemed ecstatic to see Rebecca here. Judging her, it seemed as if they were old friends. I quickly sat down on the chairs near the dressing room, rolling my eyes at the squealing of other women in here. Geez. It's just clothes. Damn. The saleswoman soon let Rebecca venture off, and then came up to me.

"Hello! You accompanied Miss Rebecca here, right?" She asked.

I nodded slowly. "Yeah.."

"It's good to see Rebecca has finally found a man in her life," the saleswoman said. Before I could protest, she continued, "Oh! Where are my manners? My name is Ann. And welcome to my boutique!"

"Yeah, thanks," I said, a little weird out by how enthusiastic she was about my presence. "My name's Sam. Another thing. I'm not Rebecca's 'man'. We're just.. companions."

"Oh," the saleswoman said, frowning. Sitting in her chair, she sighed. "Oh well. Close enough."

I uncomfortably sat in the chair, waiting for Rebecca to buy the clothes. Tch. Why do I have to have some level of kindness in my head? Could've avoided all of this if I didn't try to help her. I rolled my eyes at myself once again. Rebecca skipped up towards the cashier with clothes that seemed much more plain compared to what most rich people would wear. Both Ann and I gave her an unsure look.

"What?" She asked, oblivious.

I shook my head and rolled my eyes again, standing up. "Just hurry up already. It takes you forever to choose clothes."

Rebecca gave me a short smile. "I'm sorry."

"Whatever."

She went on ahead and finally paid for the clothes. She grabbed the bag and held it in her hands. Ann waved at us, "Be careful, you two!" I didn't say anything as Rebecca waved back, a delighted smile on her.

We stepped out of the boutique, and a cold wind brushed passed up. Sighing again, I grabbed Rebecca's free hand and led her down the streets. I might as well go to work. Rebecca probably wouldn't want to be dragged along though, huh? I stopped a red light and peered over at Rebecca, who was watching the clouds roll by. Tugging on her hand, she looked over at me, her brown eyes shining.

"I'm gonna go work now," I said to her, "so do you just want to go come with me or go back to the apartment?" She cocked her head to the side, tossing me a confused look. I rolled my eyes and snapped, "What?"

"You didn't call it home," she whispered, as if it were a delicate thing to say. I didn't sense a teasing tone to her voice, which meant she was serious. "Why—"

"Because it's not my exact definition of home," I replied quickly.

"But—"

"Look," I snapped, exasperated. I turned, my full attention on her. "Are you going back or not? You're gonna be a hassle if you keep nagging me."

Rebecca flinched at the sudden hostile tone in my voice. She slowly let go of my hand and used it to hold the bag, glancing down at the pavement. A look of regret washed over her eyes, but I stood in front of her, unchanged. My mind boggled, and in my sight of vision, a purple blinker flashed in the corner. She's clearly upset.