Chapter Twelve

How long has it been?

Ah, right. Two and a half weeks.

My mind warped lazily as I looked at the money in the suitcase. I never trusted banks. Never did. Rebecca tried once, to get me into getting a credit card. She failed, unfortunately for her. My eyes scanned the money. From my calculations.. I felt stunned when my brain calculated the cash. $775.. give me a few more days and we're done. We can leave. Of course, this wasn't all my money. I had (probably) a few hundred extra to start up a business in America.

"SAMUEL HERNANDEZ!" A small voice shouted from the kitchen. She was angry. "YOU BETTER GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE RIGHT NOW!"

Fuck. What did I do now?

Standing up and closing the door to the room, I reluctantly trudged towards the kitchen. Rebecca was standing there, a very short and very annoyed woman wearing a huge t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants. She had a fork in her hand, and a lemon meringue cake sat on the counter beside her. As soon as I came into her line of sight, her cheeks puffed out in annoyance, the glint in her eyes darkening.

"Did you eat my cake?" She asked bitterly, pointing at the slice of cake missing.

I looked up at the ceiling, avoiding her gaze. Shit..! My hand unconsciously settled on the back of my neck as I nervously closed my eyes, skimming over a dictionary of lies. A cold sweat glistened on my skin. Oh crap, I'm getting into big trouble.

"No...??" I replied in a questioning response.

Rebecca saw through my hesitation in answering her question and put the fork down, crossing her arms. "Oh really??" She questioned, sarcasm in her words as she leaned on her other leg.

God, I fucking hate when she becomes the alpha in our relationship. I feel so belittled by it. I nervously glanced at her for just a second. An angry aura seemed to surround her as she glared at me. My cheeks flushed when all I could reflect on her was a cute, little vanilla bean that was too overheated because of anger. There's no way she could ever look murderous in the slightest. I couldn't resist but put my hand on her head, patting her lightly.

"I'm sorry," I sighed, closing my eyes to avoid her gaze. She stiffened. Glancing at the floor, I clenched my jaw. "I'm not good at apologies, so.. whatever."

Rebecca seemed to lighten at the pitiful attempt of an apology. I expected her to retort, but apparently, her heart was too kind for that (as expected). Her small arms hugged my torso lightly, and she giggled a little, smiling.

"For such a self-proclaimed 'bad apology', it looked like it was easy," she replied. With her arms still hugging me, she put her chin on my chest, looking at me. Her eyes were bold and innocent. "But next time, don't eat my cake without telling me."

I clicked my tongue. "Tch. Don't get used to my apologies."

"Aw~! Don't put up the badass cover again! You're really cute when you're embarrassed!" She cheered. My cheeks reddened, and I clicked my tongue again.

"Stupid."

~~~

"I'm very proud of all of you," Manager Kim said, her hands clasping together. "Especially every single barista except Sam. You guys are finally doing something!" I almost choked, snickering when the baristas froze, their heads hanging on their shoulders. "I want everyone to have a good rest, because tomorrow is when the to-be-wedded couple is going to come in to get their cake!"

Ooh. Right.

We all nodded. Manager Kim smiled and put her hands behind her back. "Okay! Luna!" The deaf woman looked at her, eyes wide as if she were in trouble. Her voice was very loud, so the vibrations shook through the floor. "Your boyfriend's outside, waiting for you in the cold snow, so don't keep him waiting! Sam, Rebecca's in the front, so you leave out there! Brent, wife's in the car! Good night, everyone!" She headed out to her office, slamming the door.

As you can see, everyone but the annoying baristas was apparently "taken", in Manager Kim's perspective.

Quickly, I saw Luna skitter into the restroom. Obviously she couldn't dress up in front of a bunch of men, being the only female employee. Just as well, the hoard of baristas were perverts. I quickly dressed up and grabbed my bag, heading out towards the front. Rebecca was by the door, rocking on the heels of her boots. She noticed movement and looked over at me. Her eyes brightened.

"Sam!" She greeted as usual. "It's getting late. And the traffic light's at red, so let's go before it turns green!"

I rolled my eyes in a teasing manner as she grabbed my hand, rushing out the door. We weaved through the few people at the curb. Rebecca was jumping the whole way, a bounce in her step. She had been like this the whole day when I told her about the progress in the money. I held her in a hug before she could jump onto the road, making her laugh childishly.

"Don't get yourself killed," I said stonily, though I meant it. I brushed away the hair from her eyes as she laughed once again. "I'm serious."

"I'm sorry then," she responded with a smile, her eyes with the usual innocence to them.

I let go of her slowly, holding her hand. I didn't reply, but she knew it was enough to suffice my serious note. The light turned green, and everyone at the curb began walking. I spotted Brent and his wife in their car. Brent waved, and I did too. He winked before the car sped away. I rolled my eyes. Turning to look at all the lights, I found myself seeing the lit-up Eiffel Tower. Maybe before we leave, we should take a picture there. I felt Rebecca lean against my arm, trying to stay awake.

"You tired?" I asked, turning to her. We stepped up the curb and continued walking. Rebecca shook her head, though I knew she was lying. "If you're tired, just go home early next time."

Rebecca's cheeks puffed out in defiance. "No. I can wait. I'll wait."

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "Honestly, I can't tell if you're determined or just plain stubborn."

She smiled, pulling my hand to her mouth. Placing a small kiss on my knuckles, my heart pounded at her exhilarating touch.