Carnations

"We're going to a party tonight, Posy, wanna come?" Koda leaned over your counter while Junichi held his bicep.

"I don't think it would be her type of scene, Koko..." Junichi whispered.

"And why not, Junichi?" You scowled at him.

"It's... It's a Sabbath party." Koda looked away and leaned back.

"Do you know what that means?" Junichi asked, a little bummed that Koda was even inviting you.

"...No." You finished bagging the fertilizer and handed it to Koda, looking down. "Five dollars. Even."

"Damn, Junichi, you didn't have to make her feel bad about it." He looked into your eyes. "Did you want to come with us?" His tone was an odd type of serious. "I... We... would make sure you were safe."

"W-What is it?" You asked, feeling uncomfortable with the intensity. It felt like something more than a polite invitation. He was almost insisting that you join him.

"It's a pleasure party. Lot of sex. Not your scene." Junichi insisted as he pulled Koda away.

Koda rolled his eyes and you thought you saw an irritated look cross his face.

But as you waved goodbye, you thought about how weird that interaction was. But then again, you hadn't had a very normal week.

Monday was acacias with forget-me-nots: Concealed love with true love memories.

Tuesday was gardenia with gladiolus: Secret love with sincerity.

Wednesday was all pink camellias: Longing for you.

And today, well, today hadn't happened yet for you because you hadn't gone home. But it was almost time and you couldn't lie; you were scared and excited. Who was the creep who left flowers for you, and did they actually feel such love for you?

As you water the plants that needed it, you had a lot of thoughts run through your mind. And they continued to run through your mind as you walked home.

I think I would have liked to go to that... pleasure party... Maybe I could've... with Koda... I hope they're at least having fun.

When you approached your doorstep, you saw a full bouquet: very unusual.

In it, were carnations: pink, red, striped, white and yellow.

I'll never forget you.

My heart aches for you.

I cannot be with you.

Innocence.

Total rejection.

And a note: Pick One.

As you sat down on your step, you decided to take it rather seriously. The most logical answer was of course to say "total rejection". This was a stalker, you assumed. In fact, you thought you should have gone to the police right away.

But you were lonely. Lonelier than you wanted to admit. And as much as your newly-minted friends helped, you had left most people behind. Your parents had passed away and no other family was there for you. You hadn't had any friends in high school because you had thrown yourself into horticulture to distract yourself from the tragedy that had occurred to you.

And in that loneliness, you succeeded with the help of other flower lovers. And here was yet another, perhaps to save you from a never ending loneliness. So instead of striped carnations, or yellow or even pink, you picked red and you went inside.

What awaited you tomorrow, would change your life.