Lavender

The door chime rang out late in the afternoon. It had been a busy day for you, especially after both Koda and Junichi had advertised for your store.

"Hello!" You cheered out from the register. "Can I direct you anywhere?"

"Ah, hello! Our friend Miko sent us here. We wanted to pick up some flowers." The short-haired girl spoke to you as the plain looking boy stood behind her protectively.

Miko...Miko... Oh! Miki. They must mean Miki.  You thought to yourself as you tried to see if you should know these people.

"My name is YN. Who are these flowers for?" You came out from behind the counter, although you kept a close eye on it. There was no way you were going to risk the biggest profits you had made yet, but it seemed polite to meet friends of Miki without a barrier.

"My name is Miki and this is Akira." The girl introduced the boy. "They're for my mother."

"Oh so you both have the same name!" That made much more sense why she called her Miko. "I call Miko, Miki. So that makes sense now... Hmm... Mother, eh? Birthday, holiday or just because?"

"It's just for the nice weather. She likes to garden." Akira spoke up.

"Does your mother have a favorite flower or color? What does she normally plant?" You pushed, not really getting a good idea of what they wanted.

"Uh... tomatoes?" Miki shrugged. She was trying to show her appreciate for her mother, but apparently she was only now realizing that she didn't know quite that much about her.

You gave a thinking look and looked at Akira.

"Do you know what your mother likes?" You asked.

"Oh, she's not my mother. I don't know what she likes." He corrected you.

"Ah. So are you just paying for your girlfriend's gift to her mother? That's a good way to butter her up!" You laughed lightly, thinking that you would suggest that to Koda next time he came.

"No, no, no!" Akira turned bright red and shook his hands in front of him as Miki joined in your laughter.

"Akira's more like my brother, but he just lives with us while his parents are away."

"Ohhh, alright. You are both pretty complicated, I think. So let's get your mother something practical, yet simple; if she has to deal with both of you all the time, I'm sure she'll want her gardening to be relaxing!" You laughed as you wracked your brain for plant ideas. "Lavender! Perfect!" You snapped. "Many uses, very pretty, quite hardy. It's down that isle. It's a purple stalk flower. It's a pretty reasonable price too."

"I love that smell! What else can you use it for?" Miki asked while she sent Akira to go pick out a plant.

"You can make essential oils from it, which are good for relaxation and sleeping. The flower itself can also be used as decorative topping on desserts. Or, you can dry it and hang it for decor. I personally enjoy the plant for its versatile." Akira reappeared with a good looking plant. "I'll check you out right behind me," you returned to behind the counter. "I do wish we could chat for more time, but as you can see, it's pretty busy today. Please, come back! Any friends of Miki are friends of mine!"

Smiling sweetly, you exchanged the plant for money with Akira and wished them on their way.

Speaking of... Where is Miki?