◽4th April◾

We exchanged nicknames

Ah, just the next day and we grew so close, the three of us. It helped that I was forced into the team.

◽◾◽◾◽

We had two cabins for housing purposes, and guys and girls were housed together under each roof. Because of this, I couldn't sleep for some time because of some girl's snoring. Aish, who knew girls could snore so loud?

I was woken up by the man beside me. He was up and ready before the sun. He was humming lightly to himself, which was what brought me back from the unseen darkness called sleep. He was dressed in light and comfortable clothing, and his shoes were thoroughly beaten down.

But one thing contradicted the look: his pair of My Little Pony socks. I thought I was seeing things but the small candle lit on the shared table cast enough light for me to make out the pink and purple colours of the ponies.

Being a little drunk with comfort, I voiced my thoughts without a filter to it. “Are those… ponies?” My low voice was a bit croaky. My mind could only focus on those socks.

The ebony haired man lifted his head, and said, with what I can only say to be a proud voice, “Yup! My cousin sister gave it to me. And she is the most adorable thing in the world!” The entire cabin reverberated with these words.

I clearly remember thinking, not that he was weird, but wondering how much he must love his sister to wear her gift out here too.

I groggily steadied myself to a sitting position. “Wha-” I yawned, “What time is it?”

He jumped to his feet, and bounced up and down. “Five thirty, I think.” He bent to the sides, twisted his torso, and began warming up. Never once in all this time did he drop his radiant smile. He was wide awake before the crack of dawn, something I found impossible to do.

I got up too. I knew that I couldn't go back to sleep, not after seeing such a bizarre scene first thing in the morning. Dragging me feet across the floor, I started getting ready, preparing myself for what was to come.

By the time the first rays of the sun were seen, we had assembled in front of the cabins, most of us still half asleep. The only ones ready to face everything thrown at them were the man who had those pony socks and Ms. Mystery. In fact, they were chatting away to glory.

The instructors beckoned us towards the denser part of the forest. The trees were closer, blocking the feeble rays that were barely reaching the tree tops. The only torchlight was in the front of the group. I trudged behind the rest, enjoying the damp air around me. It rubbed against my skin, awakening my senses. My sling back repeatedly slapped against my thigh.

The girl skipped over and stopped in front of me. Her hair was finally in a neat pony. Other than the lack of mysteriousness in her attitude, she seemed the same. The ebony haired man followed her.