◾29th April◽

Jungkook secured his spot amongst us

All he did was sing.

◽◾◽◾◽

True to our word, we stuck with Jungkook after that. He was always with us when we did tasks. Each time we greeted him, he would never fail to smile. He was a kid living his fantasy.

But, there was still that curtain behind which he hid himself. He steered the conversation elsewhere when it came to asking about him. He never declared that he didn't want to tell us, but that hesitancy spoke leagues together.

Today's task for us was to learn how to make a fire. By learn, it meant that we had to find the right kind of sticks, the right stones and start the fire. The only things given to us were the instructions and a time limit till dusk.

I thought it would be a piece of cake. There were plenty of sticks on the ground, along with enough stones to build a house. If one wouldn't worked, the other should.

It didn't go that way.

“How many sticks does this one make?”

“268”

“And the stones?”

“134,” said Jungkook, who sat at the base of the two piles.

“How many are left?” The annoyed princess asked us cabin mates. Hoseok and I promptly dumped the sticks we had collected from the forest floor, the pieces rolling everywhere other than where we had dropped them. Once again, we scrambled around, trying to herd the fleeing sticks.

She sighed. “Well, let's get to it.”

Like we had done since our time had begun, she placed the dried leaves on the plane ground, before keeping a few sticks. She took the newly selected set of stones and rubbed them together. Though it did give out screeching sounds, no sparks were seen.

“This is ridiculous!” She sat down, huffing and puffing like the big, bad wolf. She looked angry and frustrated, ready to thrown the sticks and stones away. “They can't do this to us!”

Patiently, I waited for her to resume what she had been doing, but she didn't move a muscle.

“We don't have all day,” Jungkook reminded us, playing with a few pieces. He didn't seem to be bothered about getting this done.

The heat was picking up. We were sweating in our shirts, the drops dripping from the ends of our skulls.

Hyung patted my back. “Come on. Let's get more of these rocks.” And so, we left the other two behind, in quest of what seemed to be more uselessness.