{3}

Ray ran down the stairs of her large suburban home to the kitchen where her mom stood holding a bag of groceries, she started unpacking them and her young daughter helped her. Her mother ,Jane smiled at her, Ray loved seeing her mother smile, she was a single mom of 3 daughters so Ray understood that she needed help. she was getting old, and always complained that Ray was still young and saying 'when i was your age i was running up and down stairs to work'.

Ray helped her put away the weekly shop before sitting down at the breakfast bar. "So', said her mother, "have you met Mr Jones.' Ray looked hat her with confusion. "...the new neighbor! i guess not." Jane walked away while rolling her eyes and Ray followed, she explained to her mom that she had noticed that someone was moving in but hadn't had the chance to meet them. "So i guess you wont mind going over to give the welcome pie i bought." Ray sighed, she wasn't the most social person, so going alone, to meet someone for the first time... was hell

"Fine." She walked to the fridge and grabbed the key lime pie that her mom just bought, walking out the front door she dragged her feet on the sidewalk, trying to delay the meeting. She finally met his front door, took a deep breath and knocked the red painted wood. Ray heard footsteps approaching and keys rattling, she looked down at her feet as the door opened. "Oh , hello!" said an enthusiastic , British accent. Her eyes still focused on her black doc. Martens it took her a moment to realize that she recognized that voice.

 Her head shot up and her grip on the plastic container tightened. "Hi, i'm David, nice to meet you!" he smiled. Ray stood there , still speechless. "And you are?" David asked. "I-I uhh, i'm Ray..." she mumbled. The orange haired man stood and giggled. "Are you sure?" he joked. "Come inside! i'll make some coffee!' Ray slightly stumbled over her own feet before entering the house, the layout was very different to her house yet they where almost identical from the outside. 

Fancy, expensive furniture was mixed with boxes inside as she walked through the hall, still holding the pie. "Sorry for the mess, as i suppose you know, i just moved here." he said turning his head slightly to look at her while Ray just smiled, still starstruck. When they reached the kitchen Ray finally spoke up "I uh, my mom and i wanted to give you this... you know as i welcome present." she handed the pie to him. "Ah , well thank you! i spoke to your mother briefly, she told me that you are also a musician!" He said happily.

Ray suddenly became cautious about her outfit, she forgot all about her shirt, she quickly crossed her arms over her chest, trying to hide the large letters that spelled out 'Bowie' on the old baseball tee. "Um, yeah, i'm a bassist." he turned to her with two cups of coffee in his hands and smiled before looking down at her arms. "Relax, i don't think its weird!" he said , almost reading her mind. 

He walked into the lounge and placed the cups onto the coffee table along with some sugar cubes. "So , what is it like around here?" he asked, putting two cubes into his drink. Ray sat tensely on the couch , David shot her a smile, which calmed her down. "Well, its calm?" she was trying not to sound harsh but he saw through her "...So its shit?' he asked which almost made Ray spit out her coffee.