twenty eight

One Year Later

One Year Later

It's been one year since The Lambert haunting. Josh, Renai and the kids were moved back into their old house, while Jessie got a house of her own using the money she got from the book she published. Her book was based on the experiences that her family went through, but she also added some things to the story. She credited Specs and Tucker as co-writers of the book. The two of them moved in with her. Ever since Jessie's book was published, the two paranormal investigators have been getting more and more calls about clients going through hauntings. 

Jessie was in the kitchen making some breakfast. She was frying bacon when she heard whining coming from beside her. It was Spirit, her Affenpinscher.

"You want some bacon, don't you?" Jessie asked the dog

"You want some bacon, don't you?" Jessie asked the dog. Spirit barked in response. "Okay, fine" She grabbed one of the bacon strips and threw it on the floor. Spirit grabbed the bacon with his mouth and ran out of the kitchen. 

"I smell bacon" Tucker announced as he walked into the kitchen. He tried reaching for a piece but Jessie slapped his hand. "You don't need to get violent with me"

"Breakfast isn't ready yet. Is Specs up yet?" 

"I'm not the one who shares a bed with him" Jessie got unusually quiet for a moment. "Jess, you alright?"

"Yeah Tucker, I'm fine. I just had another nightmare last night" Yes, Josh, Dalton and Jessie were hypnotized to forget about that stuff, but ever since her time in The Further, Jessie's been having frequent nightmares. "I keep seeing him in my dreams"

"Keep seeing who in your dreams?" Specs asked when he entered the kitchen. Jessie hadn't exactly told Specs about her nightmares. She didn't want him to worry about her, considering the fact that the two of them were officially boyfriend and girlfriend. 

"Just this character from one of my favorite tv shows" Jessie lied. Specs nodded in response and pressed a kiss to Jessie's lips. "Are you two coming to my book signing today?"

"We'd love to be there, but we have to go see a client today" Specs explained.

"But if we get done early, we can stop by" Tucker said.

~

Renai wound up going with Jessie to the book signing. She was helping Jessie set up her books. Jessie proceeded to tell Renai about her nightmares.

"I don't think I completely forgot about it Renai. Is Josh or Dalton having nightmares?" Jessie asked.

"No, they've completely forgotten about that stuff. They don't even realize that the book is the stuff that happened to them" Renai explained. Jessie sighed and sat at the table. Renai placed her hand on Jessie's shoulder. "Have you been seeing a therapist?"

"Yep. The only other people who know besides you and my therapist are mom and Tucker" 

"You've never told Specs?"

"No. I don't need him to worry about me"

"Maybe you should tell him. Maybe he could help you. Anyways, it looks like your fans are ready. How about you?" 

"Yep. Bring them in"

~

The book signing lasted for nearly an hour. There were fans sharing how much they loved the book, and some were even sharing their ghostly experiences, which Jessie loved hearing. It finally came down to the last two fans. They were both blonde women, and they both reminded Jessie of Elise. Both girls set their books down in front of her.

"Hi. Who am I making the books out to?" Jessie asked.

"One is for Imogen, and the other is for Melissa" the first girl said. Jessie smiled and signed the books. 

"Thank you so much. We really loved the book. One of the characters, Eleanor, really reminded us of our aunt" the second girl said.

"Yeah, and then there was Stuart and Trevor. They were like these two guys that our aunt worked with" the first girl said. Jessie and Renai looked to each other, and then back to the two girls.

"Who is your aunt exactly?" Jessie asked.

"I'm Imogen and this is Melissa. Elise Rainier is our aunt, and we know that you knew her"