twenty one

Lorraine was tasked with getting Renai out of the house so that Carl, Jessie, Specs and Tucker could do what they need to do to get rid of Parker Crane

Lorraine was tasked with getting Renai out of the house so that Carl, Jessie, Specs and Tucker could do what they need to do to get rid of Parker Crane. The four of them were in Specs and Tucker's van. Tucker attached microphones to both Carl and Jessie.

"We'll hear everything. Signal out if you need us. The codeword is quesadilla" Tucker said.

"I thought we agreed on unicorn as the codeword" Specs said

"Quesadilla is easier to bring up in conversation"

"Not at all. How would you bring up a quesadilla in a conversation?"

"It's quesadilla time"

"Guys" Carl interrupted. They stopped bickering and looked at him. "It doesn't matter. Jessie and I will let you know if we need you"

"It does matter" Specs whispered to himself. Tucker placed a syringe in front of Carl and Jessie.

"Tranquilizer" he said.

"I'll take it" Jessie said, grabbing the syringe. "Josh is my brother. If he's still somewhere in there, I should be able to get close enough to him to tranquilize him"

"Whenever you're ready Jessie, I'll be waiting for you outside" Carl said. He gave her a pat on the shoulder before stepping outside.

"Are you sure you still want to do this?" Specs asked her.

"If I wasn't sure, I wouldn't have volunteered to go" Jessie responded. Specs placed his hand on her knee. Her hand fell on top of his.

"What if you get hurt or worse?"

"Then I guess you two will have to come and save me" She leaned over and pressed her lips against Specs' in a gentle kiss. "I've got to go"

"I know"

"Good luck and be careful" Tucker warned her.

"I will" Jessie said before leaving the van and meeting up with Carl. They started walking towards the house. Once they reached the front door, Jessie knocked on it. Not even a minute later, Josh opened it.

"Hi Josh" Jessie said.

"Hi. Who's this?" Josh asked

"My name is Carl. I know you don't remember me Josh. Elise and I did our best to make sure of that" Carl said

"You're right. I don't remember you, and I don't know why you're with my sister"

"Your mother called me when you started experiencing some problems. What I saw scared me so badly, so I reached out to Elise. Now Elise is gone. I was wondering if you could help give me some closure"

"That's why I called him. He wanted to talk to both of us about her" Jessie explained.

"Sure" Josh said. They went inside the house and Jessie got a closer look at her brother's face. She started running her thumb against every inch of it.

"You need to start moisturizing. You're only thirty six and starting to look like an old man" she said. Josh gave her a smile.

"Thanks for the advice" he said.

~

Jessie and Carl sat on the couch. Josh sat in the chair across from them. He kept on coughing.

"Are you okay?" Jessie asked

"I'm fine. Just woke up feeling a little under the weather" Josh said

"I suppose I wanted to ask you if you had any idea what happened to Elise. I tried talking to Jessie about it but she told me her mind drew a blank" Carl said

"No, I don't"

"I should remind you that I'm not the person who's going to look at you funny if you tell me something unusual. I've seen things with my own eyes most people have to go to sleep to conjure up"

"Elise sent me to a place that still haunts my dreams, but I got my son back" Josh said. Jessie glanced down at the floor and noticed a tooth. She covered it with her foot. "I don't know. I left the room for about ten minutes and when I came back, Elise was dead" Using her foot, Jessie dragged the tooth towards her. "She had been strangled"

"That sounds pretty horrific" Carl said

"Sorry but I have an itch on my ankle" Jessie said. She leaned down a pretended to scratch her ankle. Since she was sitting behind the table, Josh couldn't really see that she had picked up the tooth. "I need to start using a better moisturizer"

"There you go again about the moisturizer" Josh said.

"When you were a boy, you said it was an old woman who haunted you. Did you see that same old woman when you were in the other world?" Carl said. Jessie got up from the couch and began walking towards Josh.

"No" Josh reached over and grabbed Jessie's wrist, gripping her arm tightly. "Where are you going?"

"Oh, I'm thirsty so I'm getting a glass of water" she said.

"Let me get it for you" Josh got up from the chair and walked towards the kitchen. He left behind his handprint on Jessie's arm. Once Josh was out of the room, Jessie opened up her palm, revealing the tooth.

"Is that a tooth?" Carl said

"Yes, and I know for a fact that it belongs to Josh" she replied. She stuffed it into the pocket of her jeans and pulled out the syringe.

"What you got there Jessie?" Josh asked, making her jump and turn around.

"Nothing" she responded.

"I thought maybe you two were playing with Carl's dice"

"Excuse me?" Carl asked

"Mother tells me you like to play with dice"

"Did she? I didn't realize you two had spoken this morning" Carl pulled the dice out of his pocket. "That's how I do my readings" Jessie could see that Josh was holding something behind his back.

"What are you holding behind your back?" she asked

"Why don't you ask the dice, or your imaginary friend Benny, what I have behind my back? Come on, roll em' and see. Or should we wait for your friend to tell you?" Josh asked.

"Carl, just roll the dice"

"Mother tells me you were very good with them at the house. Come on, it'll be fun" Carl held the dice above the table next to him.

Jessie, get out of there! He has a knife!

"What does Josh.... What does Parker Crane have behind his back?" Carl asked. The smile that was on Josh's face disappeared, and the dice landed on the table. The dice said the same thing Benny told Jessie. Knife.

"She was always right" Josh said, revealing the knife. He looked towards Jessie, and threw the mug at her. She managed to dodge it but was she wasn't able to dodge was Josh charging after her. Carl had tried to intervene but Josh shoved him out of the way, making him hit the wall. Josh stabbed Jessie in the shoulder. She screamed in pain. Using the injured arm, she managed to reach into her pocket and got out the tranquilizer. She tried injecting it into Josh's neck, but he was too strong for her, holding her hand in place. Josh became too strong for her, pushing her back and making Jessie hit her head against the cabinet. She dropped the tranquilizer, and fell unconscious to the ground.