thirty seven

Warning: Mentions of sexual assault, self-harm, and stabbing. 

Jessie could feel it

Jessie could feel it. Anytime they took a step further, she could feel that they were getting closer. Her PRINCESS scar would burn, but just as fast as it would burn, she would feel that ghostly sensation around her hands. "Elise," Jessie spoke up. She needed to ask. She needed to know. "How did Jerry even get stuck in this place? How did he become a demon?"

Elise stopped, taking Jessie's hand into her own. "He was a very bad man in life, Jessie. You of all people should know that" Jessie nodded, as Imogen watched. She didn't know what exactly happened to her friend, but she knew it was something terrible. Why else would Jessie be so scared?

"What did happen to you?" Imogen suddenly asked. With the way Jessie looked her, she felt guilty for asking. "Sorry. I shouldn't have asked. That's really personal for you and I--"

"It's okay, Imogen" Jessie assured her. "You're here to help me, and you need to know why" Jessie paused, taking a deep sigh before she continued. "When I was fifteen, my mom started dating this guy. His name was Jerry Henries. She said that he would be staying with us because his house was having a bug problem. I'll never forget the way he looked at me that first time we met" 

Jessie choked back her tears. It was hard for her to be reliving all this. "He would touch me, stare at me, and say the most vulgar things to me. Mom didn't notice but Josh sure did. Actually, Josh confronted me about it one night, after I..." She held up arms, revealing faint scars on her wrists. "He said he was going to tell mom, but I told him not to. I told him that I would tell her myself, but just to give me time. It was about two in the morning when I woke up to find Jerry on top of me. He managed to rip my shirt off and was about to pull my pants down, when he was pulled off of me"

"It was mom. Josh had went to go get her. I had never seen her so angry before. She threw Jerry down on the floor and started stabbing him. She stabbed him so many times, but she never once hit a major organ or artery. I think she did that on purpose because she wanted him to suffer. Well, at least until she stabbed him on last time in the head. That's what killed him"

Imogen really didn't know how to respond to all that. This poor girl didn't deserve to go through all that, and she definitely doesn't need that sick bastard harassing her, even after he was dead. Imogen grabbed Jessie's other hand. "We're going to make him pay, Jessie. I don't know if he can feel pain, but we'll try to make him suffer as best we can"

"He'll feel pain, alright" Elise added. "When we pull that knife out of his head. Now, to answer your question, Jessie. This is where all evil souls come. And this is where they are forced to stay, until travelers come here and attach themselves to those travelers"

"Like the Lip-Stick Face demon with Dalton, or Parker Crane with Josh" Jessie realized.

"Or Jerry Henries with you. The minute you travelled here to help Josh, he was alerted to your presence. Considering the two of you have real life history, that made your presence even stronger to him"

Jessie frowned. "So, if I hadn't come here in the first place..."

Benny twitched. "It's my fault" You could hear the guilt in his voice. "I shouldn't have brought you here!"

"Benjamin Lambert!" Jessie used her twin's full name. She grabbed his shoulders and looked him right in the eye. "You did what you thought was right. You brought me here because Josh needed me. He needed us both. What matters is that you're here with me now. You're going to help me kill Jerry once and for all"

Benny nodded, grabbing his sister's hands, smiling at her and pressing a kiss to her forehead. "I love you, Jessie"

"I love you too, Benny"

Elise and Imogen smiled at the two siblings, then glanced at each other. Even though one was alive, and the other was dead, it was true that their bond was strong.

~

Benny knew exactly where Jerry was waiting. He stood with Jessie, Elise, and Imogen in front of blood red door. There was no wall that showed there was a room there. All that was past the door was darkness and smoke. But, the door did lead to somewhere, as indicated by the light shining through it, and the bugs crawling out from under it.

A big cockroach crawled towards the group. It decided to crawl onto Imogen's shoe. The blonde looked down and grimaced at the big bug. "What's with all the bugs?" She wondered.

"His house was being fumigated for bugs when he died" Jessie realized. "I guess when he died and came here, the bugs went with him"

Elise placed a hand on Jessie's shoulder. "Jessie, once we go through that door, there is no turning back. There is no turning back until Jerry Henries is gone for good. Do you understand that?"

Jessie, who was staring straight at the door, nodded. "I know, Elise. He needs to be dealt with. He's had control over me this whole time, even long after he's been dead. It's time that control breaks. I'm not scared of him anymore."

Elise smiled, proud of Jessie. She then addressed Benny. "You do what you have to to hold him back if necessary, Benny. You know that Jerry can't harm you unless he harms Jessie"

Jessie blinked at that information. "So Benny can't die?"

Benny chuckled. "I'm already dead. Twins have very strong bonds, Jessie. Even after one twin is gone. That bond can only break if both are dead. So, if you die, then I disappear forever. Whatever happens to you, happens to me as well" To prove his point, Benny lifted up his shirt and showed a scar where a knife had been stabbed.

"That's the same spot he stabbed me" Jessie lifted up her shirt to show that same scar, where Jerry had stabbed her the first time she was in The Further. 

"What should I do?" Imogen asked.

"We're going to need three sets of hands to hold him down" Elise explained. "But you don't come anywhere near him until either Benny or I say it's safe to do so. It may be Jessie he wants, but I know he won't hesitate to harm you too"

It was finally time. It was time for them to set foot into Jerry's lair and get rid of him once and for all. Benny, still in the lead, held up the lantern and walked towards the door. The girls followed closely behind him. Benny's free hand wrapped around the door knob. He turned it slowly. The door creaked loudly as it was pushed open.

A flood of bugs poured out of the open door, as did an awful stench. Benny carefully lead the girls forward. As they walked through the halls, Jessie noticed writing on every square inch of the walls. Her name as well as the word PRINCESS was carved into them. Suddenly, Jessie's scar started to burn again. It burned stronger than it ever did before. Jessie winced and started scratching at the scar.

"H-he's here!" Jessie managed.

"There's my princess" The deep, gravelly voice spoke. By instinct, Benny, Imogen, and Elise formed a protective circle around Jessie, blocking her from Jerry's view. "I've been expecting you. I see you've brought some friends. It doesn't matter, you know. Nothing is going to save you from me"

Jessie gritted her teeth as she peered over Benny's shoulder to look at the man. This was it. It was now or never. She needed to put an end to this, otherwise this nightmare was never going to end.