Birthday

Working at the bakery, day 73--end of shift

"You gonna go visit the birthday girl?" Redd smirks at me.

"Eh, I'm waiting until tomorrow when we work together. We're not that close, Redd. My words did nothing to change the sarcastic smirk on his face.

"Shut up and finish cleaning the counter," I mutter before he can say anything else, and look down in amazement at the tray of red velvet brownies that's nearly empty.  Ever since Wheeler made the first batch, they've been selling like crazy. 

"See ya, Redd," the moment I'm about the head out the door and into the dusky evening, my phone goes off. 

[Texts]

Wheeler: They forgot.

Harry: What?

Wheeler: I waited all day, and they forgot. They all just left to go to Ramona's ballet recital. 

Harry: Meet me at my flat in twenty. You know where it is, right?

Wheeler: Yeah. I'll be there.

Wheeler's parents forgot her birthday. How is that even possible? I'm pissed off just thinking about it, but I can't dwell on that right now...I've got to try and fix it somehow. I run back into the bakery, steal some of the roses off a table, and quickly stick the few red velvet brownies that are left into a little basket and fumble with the lock on the door before running to my car and speeding off. 

By the time I get there, she's sitting at my doorstep with her head in her hands and her blonde hair pooled all around her.

"Happy Birthday." I hold out a rose, my hand trembling because I fear she'll fall to pieces any moment and I don't know what I'll do. 

"At least someone cares." she looks up just slightly enough for me to notice the tears threatening to fall from her eyes any moment.

"Hey, let's go inside," I gesture toward the door, and take her little hand to pull her in. It feels unbelievably delicate, like it might break into a million pieces at any moment, and she still wont look directly at me. The moment we're inside I lead her to the couch and sit her down next to me, putting the little basket in front of us.

"What's this?" she finally looks up at me, revealing a stray tear that's now running down her cheek.

"This is your birthday cake." I wipe the stray tear away quickly and remove the cover from the basket, revealing the brownies.

"My favorite! Thanks Harry, you're the best!" she beamed, gripping me in a tight hug and making me feel like a giant.

"I really should've had a sister....I would've been a fabulous brother," I quip, strolling into the kitchen to grab the necklace.

"Yeah," she smirked at me as I re-entered the room.

"There's the old Juvie."

"Now that I'm seventeen, I particularly prefer to be called Wheeler."

"Well good, because that's what everyone else already calls you."

"You're so annoying."

"You won't think so after this..." I finally hand her the little box, a strange feeling of excitement growing in my stomach. Something about making her happy makes me even happier. 

"Oh...oh my gosh!" she squeals, jumping off the couch to wrap her arms around me again. Odd tingles shoot through me when she lets go.

"I told you!" I can't help but grin at her.

"It's perfect, Harry. Thank you so much, you made my birthday perfect!" she's happier than I've ever seen her, and I'm really glad it's because of me.

"Put it on me!!" she squeals again, throwing her hands in the air out of pure excitement.

I carefully pull her long blonde hair away from her neck and clasp the tiny chain together. It looks perfect on her. 

The minute it's on, she's wrapped her arms around my neck again, and before I even have a chance to stop her, she's pecked me on the cheek. I feel like I've been hit with a tazer. 

"Uh--uhm. Listen," I stutter, quickly sitting down.

"Yeah?" she's still admiring the necklace in the light as she stands above me.

"Don't--Don't do what you just did. It isn't a good idea."

"I'm seventeen years old, and you're not my father. I'll do what I want." 

Suddenly, I realize that I'm making her mood go south. As much as that peck made me feel strangely, I don't want to hurt Wheeler--especially not tonight.

"I'm sorry, nevermind. Forget I said that. Okay, listen, if you'll forgive me, I'll take you to Behren's Cove."

"Really?" her eyes go wide.

"Yeah. Finish your brownie and we'll go." 

At Behren's Cove

"Just...don't do anything too crazy," I warn as Wheeler disappears into the crowd. I can't believe I brought her here. As much as it might've made her happy, it's making me crazy because so many things could go wrong. 

Stop worrying and live a little, something tells me.

I take a shot of tequila and let it go.

*A/N: I'm so grateful to have reached 150 reads. I know it isnt much, but to me it means a lot. Thanks so much to all of you who continue to read! I've decided from this chapter on, I'm going to dedicate each one to a different reader. This one goes to @Harry_Lover01, thanks so much for reading and commenting, I really appreciate it!  Lastly, what do you think will happen next? ;)