Chapter 22 - In your arms

Emiko pov:

Having put done some construction material that I had just shifted, I wiped the sweat off my brows. I hit my shoulder with my fist to ease the slight strain I had begun to feel there from moving around since the afternoon. Relaxing my posture, I glanced in the direction of the Hokage building where Itachi had been summoned just a little while ago. I wondered what Kakashi had wanted to speak about with Itachi, though I had a feeling that it was good news.

"Nee chan, are you tired?" Sasuke asked, bringing me out of my thoughts and staring.

Meeting his eyes, I answered, "No, I'm alright, Sasuke."

"What were you thinking about?"

"I was just wondering why Itachi was summoned by Kakashi," I said.

"I'm sure it's nothing to be worried about," Sasuke said, shifting to help me with the shifting.

Shaking my head with a smile, I got back to work too. We left for home at the usual time and I began preparing rice and curry for dinner after freshening up. Just as I had finished setting up the table, itachi returned.

"I'm home," he called as he took off his shoes.

Wiping my hands on a towel, I stepped out of the kitchen/dining to greet him with a smile. "Welcome home, Itachi."

After he had freshened up and joined me and Sasuke at the table, I asked, "So, what did Kakashi want to talk to you about?"

"He said that we are no longer going to be watched by the ANBU," he said, "and he wants me to go on a mission with three others."

"That's wonderful! That means we're trusted now," I said cheerily.

"I suppose. I think the mission is also to see proof of our loyalty to Konoha though. It's an A-rank mission to deal with some rogue nin threatening the Fire Nation on the outskirts."

"That makes sense," I mumbled. "Well, despite the motive behind the mission, it's great that there's some progress anyway. We should be optimistic about this."

"You're right, Emiko. This is progress, no matter how little. It's the first step to change," agreed Itachi.

We settled to eat dinner after that, sparing lighthearted conversations with each other along with a few compliments on how delicious the food was. Sasuke was tired and turned in early for the night while Itachi wished to take a shower before we slept as well. In that time, I cleaned up the table and retired to our room.

When Itachi was done showering, I dried his hair, running my fingers through the silky strands every now and then. I had barely hung the towel to dry when I felt Itachi's arm around my midsection, his chin resting on my shoulder. His show of affection brought a smile upon my lips and had me cupping his cheek. A shiver ran down my spine before I tensed slightly when Itachi shifted to kiss the crook of my neck and shoulder.

"I love you, Emiko," he whispered against my skin, rousing goose bumps.

"And I love you, Itachi, so much," I replied, closing my eyes and humming at his continued kisses and nips on my skin.

"I-Itachi," I stuttered. It had been so long since we had been unrestrained in expressing our affection for each other because of constantly being under watch of the ANBU and it seemed Itachi was as eager to be close to me as I wished to be with him.

Letting go of me, he turned me to face him and meet his gaze that held so much depth. I glanced at his lips yearningly and closed my eyes when he leaned down to kiss me slowly yet deeply. Raising my arms, I wrapped them around his broad shoulders, tilting my head to make the kiss more passionate. My heart was racing, beating loudly in my ears from fluster and euphoria of the moment. it only increased when Itachi ran his fingers through my hair and down my shoulder, only to slowly move my shirt off to expose my skin.