Bites Does Hurt Chapter 12 (Fortress)

Micah's P.O.V

It's been like 6 months after the outbreak. You know? Life in this community has never been better. We have improved the old wooden mansion to a now new reinforced fortress. I know that we have lost people during the process of building and expanding. Which makes us down to 11. Good thing is that we found more survivors. Which of course, makes us up to 19.

I miss Kurt. Well, I shouldn't keep my hopes us. It'll only disappoint me in the future and it may bring me down. I'll just have to wait and see.

As for what I have observed, the place has a really good quality of people in here. All of which are seemed to be trusted. Though I don't really do.

Especially Mav. Now, he is like the leader in here. People look to him and expect much from him.

All I can do is just follow him.

He is very weird when he talks to me though. I do know what this means though.

For Jomer and Keannu, I really thought that they'll have a very good relationship. Turns out, lover's quarel conquered the air every now and them. And because of them, the infected hears them. Which in return, destroys the things we worked hard on.

Good thing no one died.

And well, Mav almost kicked them.out three times now.

"So what now?" Mav asked as he hammered the nail, burying it in wood then cement. Completely covering the window. Only letting small holes of light come through.

"I dunno." I replied, cocking my AK-47 as I accidentaly inhaled my bad breath.

Ew.

Well, atleast I survived six months though. That one is a good reason. And I stink, like a rat. And have hairs, like a dog.

Someday, I will get fixed and cleaned.

"What an answer." Mav answered, wiping his sweat around his face as he stood up and started looking around.

After the apocalypse, pollution has lessened. Thank God about that. I don't like it when zombies and global warming comes together like a package.

I will rather have fresh air than technology.

Well, I do a lot of selfies though. Nah, that's not included.

"Got a better one?" I replied, turning around and walked towards my bag on the floor. Grabbing a water bottle, I drank.

"Well, I do get bored and tired for doing this all day. Got any suggestion?" Mav complained as he walked and grabbed another piece of plywood by the floor.

"Nope, You never know what will happen next, so you do this. Prevention is better than cure." I bullied and punched him lightly on the shoulders.

"You're right." He replied in defeat as he sat back again and continued his work.

"Sometimes, I hate the fact that this mansion is a lot bigger than expected." I sighed, walking around aimlessly.

"Me too." Mav agreed as he crouched and picked a nail from the ground.

After that, silence once again hit the air. Well, don't include the noisy hammer. Good thing it only attracted few zombies, which are easily killed by the few guards below.

I miss Kurt.

Looking around the room, I spotted a chair. I smiled. Then I dragged it all over to the window and sat.

Air then suddenly hit my sides, I shivered. Oh I love this feeling.

I pulled my rifle from my back and into my lap, tapping it. I then felt closing my eyes in peace.

"Hey, sleeping is not allowed in a situation like this." Mav stood, stretching his back and then threw a paper at me.

"Ugh." I groaned, rolling my eyes.

That was a good moment, only to be ruined.

The air is so good and fresh.

Standing up, I paced around the room.

Stopping at a window, something caught my eye.

"Help!"

I heard a girly voice, from the streets afar, where me and Mav turned.

-----