1

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is to love and be loved in return."
- Moulin Rouge [the movie with Ewan McGregor].

"- Moulin Rouge [the movie with Ewan McGregor]

:::

Angelica collapsed back against the back of her chair, tapping her pencil rhythmically against the table.

"It is the only business that actually invests in anything," Thomas proclaimed.

"For the price of innocent lives, of freedom, what does business matter?" Alexander shot back.

"It matters for the American society as a whole!"

"God damn the American society!"

"Alexander," Mr. English's sharp tone cut off the enraged young man. "Watch your language.  Mind you, we are still in a History classroom and this is just a debate.  This is not actual politics."

"Sorry, Mr. English," Alexander said hurriedly, and then, using his speaking as an advantage, went on to rant for another five minutes.  Angelica snuck a glance at his debate team behind him and caught them all with the boredest looks.

Alexander is really getting ahead of himself, Angelica thought, but for some reason felt nothing against it.  If anything, it seemed to make her like him even more.

"Okay, okay," Mr. English waved a careless hand in the air and the classroom silenced. "Enough debate for today.  We will continue this tomorrow.  Good work, Alexander."

"Thank you, Your Highness," Alexander tipped his head, eyes locked on Thomas, who looked just about ready to yank his own crazy hair out of his scalp.

Mr.  English scoffed, "Your Highness," but he turned back to his desk with the air of a king.

Angelica picked up her books and laptop, and started to head out of the room.

"Angie."

Angelica was so close to dodging past him, but Alexander grabbed her arm and she was forced to swerve around.

"What?" She snapped.

"Wait for me, okay?"

No.  Not okay.  Just ten days ago, Angelica had realised how deep her feelings for Alexander actually ran.  That it was more than just a silly crush.  She didn't have time for things like that.  Especially with her sister's boyfriend.

No.  She had to avoid him for as long as possible, until her feelings for him subsided.

"I'm exhausted.  I want to get home already," Angelica said, putting up as much of a bratty attitude as she could.  She pictured she was Peggy, and ran with it. "You'll only slow me down, you sloth.  Besides, you have Aaron and John to wait for you."

"I know, but I want you to wait for me," Alexander smiled as he said this, this charming, dazzling smile. "And I'm going back to your house now to meet your sister, so I might as well drive you home."

He had a point.

"Fine," Angelica muttered, falling back into defeat. "But hurry up, will you?"

Alexander did hurry up, and they walked to their lockers in silence, simply absorbed in being in each other's presence for a good half hour until Eliza came back into the picture.

:::

"Your friends aren't coming?" Angelica asked, strapping in her seatbelt in the passenger seat. "I'm surprised.  You usually never leave without the gang."

Alexander shrugged as he switched on the engine, "Well, I thought it might be nice to spend some time with just Eliza.  We never get to go anywhere without John and Hercules trying to tag along."

Aha.

"I see," Angelica said.  She turned and stared into the window screen ahead, forcing her thoughts into blankness.  Neither of them said anything else until they had rounded a loopy corner.

"Did you see Jefferson's face at the debate today?" Angelica's lips dragged up into a smirk as she said this.

Alexander grinned back, devilishly, "Did I ever?"

Angelica nodded, starting to laugh, "Like he was about to pull his hulk-sized Afro out."

They both laughed together.

"His counterattacks were the worst," Alexander said, once they had calmed down. "I still can't believe he said all that stuff about slavery."

"Well, Mr. English had assigned him to be one of the Slave Traders," Angelica pointed out. "He had no choice but to counter your attacks."

"I know," a muscle twitched in Alexander's jaw, and she could see that the conversation had suddenly gotten serious. "But I still hate what he said.  Jefferson is such an asshole."

Angelica couldn't help but laugh at this.

"What?"

"Ever the gentleman," she joked.

"Fit for royalty, wouldn't you say?" Alexander said, joining in.  He winked and she cracked up laughing again, until her laughter eventually turned strange and she stopped, embarrassed.

"Why did you stop?" Alexander asked.

"What?" Angelica said. "Stop laughing? I just did, that's why."

"I like your laughter," he said, and smiled her this smile so beautiful it could have meant anything.

:::

When they arrived at the Schuyler mansion, Eliza was already inside, as suspected, and reading thoroughly into one of her Jane Austen books.

"Liza, you nerd," Angelica joked, walking in with Alexander close behind. "Get off your back.  Romeo's here."

Eliza ignored the insult in Angelica's comment, and simply smiled at Alexander, leaping to her feet.

"You ready?" Alexander asked.  Eliza walked right up to him and stood on her tippy-toes.  She planted a kiss on his lips and smiled.

"I am now."

Angelica looked away.  It was too bitter for her to watch.

"Get out of here, you lovebirds," she said, walking down the hall so her back was towards them. "Alexander, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay," Alexander called.

Angelica reached the staircase and put her hand on the banister.  She turned back and locked with Alexander's eyes.  He was still standing there, watching her.  There was the strangest look in his eyes.

"Good night," Angelica said.

"Sweet dreams."

And then Eliza had pulled him away, completely oblivious to the eye-contact that had just occured across the room.  Angelica was left standing at the foot of the staircase, alone.