3

Angelica had to stop the kiss soon after, and went into her bathroom to wash her face. She came out an hour later and found Alexander passed out on her bed, head lolled to the side and arms limp.

She waited at her balcony, for a long time. She didn't call Eliza.

After what felt like an eternity later, the full moon already risen up to its full height, Alexander started to stir.

Angelica moved quickly over, "Alex?"

Alexander shifted on her covers, eyes fluttering until they were fully open and staring at her. Angelica realised that, no matter what state he was in, his eyes stayed those same intelligent eyes in a hunger-pang frame.

His face flickered into a frown as he scanned his surroundings. He tried to sit up, and paused suddenly. A sick feeling overcame his face and he jerked over the side of the bed and let out a waterfall of vomit into the bucket next to him. Angelica felt relieved she had put it there last minute, and rushed over to help him.

He started to sit up, looking pale and deathly. He caught site of Angelica again and suddenly he was vomiting more.

"Hey, hey, now. Easy there."

Alexander coughed and leaned backwards, looking deflated. His eyes roamed around the room, confused.

"Angie? Where am I? What ... what happened?"

"You got drunk, that's what happened," she smiled, and was glad it was dark so he couldn't see the sadness in it. "You kind of stumbled in here around 9:30. You were alone, and it didn't look like you would make it far before you passed out. So I lay you down here."

Again, Alexander tried to sit up. This time, Angelica helped him.

Alexander flashed a glance into the bucket next to him and seemed to be washed over by humiliation.

"God ..." his voice cracked hoarsely. "I'm sorry about that."

Angelica laughed, "No worries. That bucket's used to being filled anyways. Peggy has the worst hangovers."

She picked up the bucket and brought it quickly to her bathroom to dump it in the sink, before coming back with a new clean one. With Peggy, she always knew to keep a stack of four or five buckets in her bathroom. There was never enough time to wash them out before she had to barf again.

Angelica set the bucket down in its place. She watched as Alexander surveyed the scene, and seemed to be struck by realisation, "So this is your room?" She nodded. "And I just came ... barging in?"

"Like Peggy in sight of One Direction," Angelica grinned. "But, it's no biggie. I wasn't feeling tired anyways."

She handed him the full mug of water at his bedside and he took a sip. His eyes closed voluntarily to the warmth and he exhaled. He opened his eyes again, a new indifferent look in his eyes.

"Thank you, Angelica," he said softly. "I don't know what I would do without you."

Angelica cracked another warm, sad smile, "I know, right? The world would be turned upside down."

"So no one came looking for me?"

"Surprisingly not," Angelica said, truthfully. "I'm not sure why, but I can only assume the others are just as wasted in the living room downstairs.

Alexander cracked a grin, "I bet they aren't getting their own personal spas."

Angelica laughed, "Or a clean bucket to vomit into. God, they'll be barfing onto all the couches. Dad will be pissed."

Alexander nodded, starting to join in the laughter, "Or a pretty handmaiden to refill their mugs and soak their head towels in."

Angelica scoffed, "Handmaiden? You wish," she threw down the towel dramatically onto her bedside table. "I think you've had just about enough attention for tonight."

Alexander's mouth opened in mock shock, "I was hardly sober for the majority of tonight! I bet I was pissing everywhere and crashing into things. I'm surprised I didn't fracture any bones," he paused. "Unless I did. I still don't quite have all my senses back, did I break any bones?"

Angelica laughed, "No, unfortunately."

They talked for another couple of minutes, laughing and joking, Angelica feeling more whole and complete than she had in a Long time, until Alexander had to vomit again.

"It's okay. Take your time," Angelica said as she came back with yet another new clean bucket. "I have three more buckets to spare, and then we're doomed."

Alexander closed his eyes for a second, putting his hand against his face and resting it there. He seemed exhausted, although he must be if he really had been stumbling around drunk for the majority of the party, until Angelica saved him.

Speaking of which.

"So, I wanted to ask you," Angelica walked over and sat down on the covers of her bed. She felt herself go numb with the memories she was just about to draw back. "Do you remember anything from tonight? Like, you know ... before you woke up in my room and started vomiting the Niagara Falls."

Alexander had to chuckle at her joke.

"Well," he said thoughtfully. "I remember arriving at the party. And then being with Eliza for a while, and then John and Lafayette and Hercules ... oh, Aaron was here, but just for a short while ..." he paused for a second. "I don't remember seeing you."

"Oh, I was in my room," Angelica said, and waved the subject away. "But anyways, what were you saying again?"

"Oh, story of tonight. Right ..." he leaned back ono his elbows. There was a flicker of a frown on his face. "I remember ... drinking. Aaron was telling me not to be such a terrible role model for Eliza ..." he frowned. "Although clearly I didn't listen to him because that's the last thing I remember."

Angelica was torn between relief and disappointment.

"That's it?"

"That's all I can recall ..." Alexander gave her a questioning look. "Why? Did I miss anything big?"

You told me you loved me. Like, a hundred times. And then we kissed, and you seemed to like it. And then I told you I loved you.

"No, no," Angelica said, her voice hitching oddly. "Nothing much. Clearly, you're not as popular as you seem because no one came looking for you."

Alexander smirked, "And what about you, you mole? Hiding under a rock this entire time."

Angelica gasped, "I was saving my immune system! So that I don't become wasted like you."

"Objection! I haven't been drunk in donkey years. I deserve this."

Angelica burst out laughing, "Yes, you most certainly do. Alexander, despite your aced grades and your top notch brain, you are one of the biggest idiots I know."

"I am honoured to fill in the description," and then he winked at her. Angelica had to shake her head.

"You feeling better, your highness?"

"Yes, in fact, I am," Alexander started to climb down from the bed. He stretched his arms and smiled at her.

"Shall we go down to join the others?"

In complete honesty, Angelica didn't want to. She wanted to stay in this moment, where she had just shared the kiss of her life and had a few quiet, amazing, teasing moments with the man she loved. Where she had just taken care of him like a wife would take care of her Husband.

Where he had told her countless times that he loved her.

Angelica pushed on a smile to match his and said, "I think so," she opened the door. "Eliza would be looking for you."