Chpt. 6: This Is Why I Don't Do Parties

"Pass the popcorn."

"What?"

"Pass the popcorn."

"I'm sorry, I don't quite understand you."

"Are so you deaf? I said pass the popcorn." I ask Grace for the third time. She leans forward so I can see her past Jordan and bats her eyelids innocently.

"I have no clue what you're saying." She grabs a large handful of popcorn and shovels it into her mouth.

"Give me some popcorn, heffer."

"Give you cream corn? I'm sorry I don't have any cream corn." She tells me, all while chowing down on monster handfuls of popcorn.

"Ooohh." I say. "You think you're funny, don't you Grace? I said popcorn. P-O-P corn; now give me the freaking POPcorn you overgrown sea cow." Grace does a fake gasp and pretends to be offended.

"Well that wasn't very kind now was it?"

"I'd be kinder with popcorn."

"I don't think you deserve any after that."

"G. Just give me the-"

"Apologize." She says. I hurl a pillow at her face then lunge across Jordan in a mad attempt to snatch the bowl from Grace. G holds it away from me. "I think someone needs a timeout..." Grace sings. I swear I would've gotten that popcorn if Jordan didn't push me off of her and onto the floor.

"Ow." I say as my back hits the ground. Grace towers over me, holding the bowl above my face. I whip my arm out to grab her ankle and miss by a hair. She quickly jumps out of the way and dashes around the couch. I push myself up and launch over the sofa, quickly gaining on her. She darts infront of the TV and I freeze across from her. When G takes a step, I take a step.

"I love how you guys are in front of the T.V. I'd totally rather watch you two act stupid." Jordan says sarcastically. Grace and I pose in front of the T.V.

"Oh we know." I say.

"I would rather watch us too." Grace chimes in. We burst into a fit of laughter.

"You guys are such idiots!" Jordan says between laughs.

The minute we'd gotten home from shopping we ordered pizza and searched through G's aunt's movie collection. We found an old drama that was hard to follow; let alone pay attention to. All I know is that it was something about selling a beloved family cow for money, because the main characters were poor. The women were all terribly irritating, most of them being naive and dense blonde house-wives. To sum it up, the move was utter cow crap.

Pun intended.

None the less, I still enjoyed relaxing with G and Jordan.

A loud crackle from outside cuts into our laughter.

"What was that?" Grace wonders while setting the bowl on the table. We walk over to the large window and peer outside. The water is still and calm and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Suddenly a shrill whistle tears through the silence and bursts into another large crack. Fireworks. An explosion of color pops into the sky over a large crowd about a mile down the shore. "...woah... Jordan, you gotta come here. These are the prettiest fireworks I've ever seen."

Jordan gets off the couch and joins us at the window. Two more launch one after the other and burst in the sky.

"What's going on over there?" Jordan asks with her face pressed against the glass.

"Probably that party Darcee was talking about." Grace says. Oh yeah. I'd totally forgotten about that. Jordan gasps excitedly when another one combusts and rains colors on the lake.