Chapter 2: Anna The Curious

Gods, I'm exhausted.

I collapsed onto my bed and let out a hearty sigh. I heard something fall from a shelf but I didn't care.

After hunting for hours, running an errand for Father, and then coming home to prepare the quail for dinner had sucked any and all energy I had left. I just wanted to sleep.

I eventually peeled my face off of the pillow to see what fell. A purple book caked in dust sat on the floor. My curious nature took over and I picked it up, brushing off the dust and reading the title.

"Tales of The Luna... Oh!"

I laughed to myself as memories returned. "I used to read this with Mother all the time!" I shook my head. "Hah, I can't believe I actually believed in those things!"

I flipped through the page. Pictures of humans and wolves danced across the pages and I found myself almost intrigued.

I should show this to Sasha tomorrow! I bet she'll get a kick out of it!

...

"Oh, my gods! I can't believe you still have this!" Sasha laughed, skimming through the pages.

I leaned against the fence and nodded. "Yeah, it was my favorite story growing up. Guess that was a good reason to keep it." And because it brings back sweet, precious memories of Mother.

"Remember when we would pretend to be Luna?" she asked. "We would run around in the yard on all fours, howling and snarling at each other while our parents watched?"

I smiled at her. "Yeah, I remember. Those were the times, my dear friend."

Maybe because it was when I was most hopeful.

I bit my lip and Sasha continued to joke and laugh at the stories. Still...I haven't been able to shake this weird feeling I've had since last night... My heart feels like it doesn't belong in my body and I just want to run as far as I can...

"Hey, Sash? Have you ever entertained the thought that they may have been real? Maybe at some point?"

Sasha gave me a strange look. "No? Everyone knows they're not real! People who believe that they're still alive are just crazy philophers!" she snickered.

I wrung my hands together. "I-I know... But it could be a possibility. Like, if they were real, what is their life like? How do they function? Do they have any gods?" I had about a million and a half questions about the Luna. Some created from childhood, some created last night while I was trying to sleep.

She rolled her eyes at me. "You and your curiosity, Anna," she said. "Always had it as a kid, never left you as an adult."

My heart hurt at that. "Well, I think curiosity is a good quality. It makes the world interesting. There is always something to figure out."

"Maybe you should become one of those crazy philophers," Sasha huffed. "You certainly have the mind for it." She slapped my back. "Now c'mon. These cookies for Jax won't bake themselves."

I raised an eyebrow. "For Jax? I thought that you just wanted to bake cookies for the sake of baking?"

She twirled one of her blonde locks on her finger. "Well, let's just say we've taking quite a shinning to each other. I want to show him that I will make a good wife."

"...By baking him cookies?"

"Uh, yeah," she groaned. "Men like a woman who can work in the kitchen. Unlike someone, I would like to get married soon, so I need to get to work."