Chapter 28: Fight Our Way in

I growled as yet another spike of snow flew into my eyes. I shook my body in hopes to free my pelt from the collecting flakes, but more fell and clung to my fur. My sensitive paws protested every time I took a step into the cold Feroxi snow. Still, being a wolf offered much more warmth than in human form.

Many of the Shepherds took their wolf forms as well, including Chrom. The only ones still human were Frederick, Stahl, and Sully.

Chrom stepped closer to me, tail brushing against my side as if to say: "Stay strong. We will be there, soon."

I lowered my head in acknowledgment, locking eyes with the navy-blue furred prince. Two days had passed since our talk at the campfire. The awkwardness I felt after quickly tampered down, but that small fire that was burning inside of me whenever I was with him refused to extinguish. I just assumed that it was my determination and honor to fight beside him.

Most of my sword training was taken over by him, much to my delight. Frederick was an amazing teacher, but only in small doses. Since then, Chrom and I have been practically inseparable; always glued to each other's sides.

"Milord, we are coming upon the Timere Mountains," Frederick spoke.

I looked up to see the faint outline of a mountain range. Whoa... How have I not noticed that before?! I mean, it is pretty hard to miss a mountain! Although, the snowfall has been very heavy. That must have obscured my vision.

The Timere Mountains were no secret, even to Humans. They were one of the largest mountain ranges in the continent. However, they are left untouched by Humans due to their location in the Frozen-Lands.

No Human dared to ever venture into or settle in the Frozen-Lands, making it the perfect home for a Luna Pack. The territory was in an endless loop of winter, never free from the cold and snow. I was eager to see how the Feroxi Pack managed to survive in such a barren land.

Chrom dipped his head in response to Frederick, shifting into his human-form. Around his shoulders was a navy-blue cloak; he still refused to wear his right sleeve. "Very well. Everyone, be on your guard."

I shifted as well, falling into step with the prince. "What are the Feroxi? I know they're Luna and powerful warriors, but no one has really explained anything else about them to me."

Chrom turned to me, snowflakes clinging to his hair. "Well, for one, they make their home in the Timere Mountains," he said.

"As if they weren't hidden enough," Sully scoffed.

Chrom ignored her. "They are one of if not the largest Luna civilization. Though the pack is known for their prowess in battle and the size of their army, they don't use those strengths for ill-doing. Hell, even if you do endless research, I don't think you could find any documents entailing a war ever started by the Feroxi."

"Wow! That's amazing!" I exclaimed. The Luna become more and more fascinating every day!

"Amazing, indeed; however," Frederick spoke, "as I said, it has been years since they've had...foreign visitors. Don't mistake a lack of hospitality for hostility. We simply must use diplomacy."

Chrom nodded. "Diplomacy is not my strong suit, but I'll do my best. Ylisse is counting on me," he sighed. "Remember, everyone: your actions here reflect back on the pack."

...

We had safely entered the mountain range without trouble. However, this was only the beginning.

Due to the cold, scents were hard to track, and the freezing air numbed any of our other senses. I hope there isn't an ambush waiting for us... We'll be as good as dead!