Chapter 20: The Rite

If I ever thought that my anxiety was at its peak in the past, I would be dead wrong.

My heart raced a million miles a minute as I stepped into the Temple of Naga, Chrom and Lissa at my side. As soon as I set my eyes on Emmeryn, my breathing quickened.

"Calm yourself. You must keep your wits about you," Chrom muttered, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah, you can do this!" Lissa cheered me on.

I felt tears begin to well up in my eyes. "I-I don't know if I can do this!" I choked. "I don't want to die!"

"You won't die." Chrom stared into my eyes, his gaze serious. "I promise that you won't. You're too strong to let Death take you."

I swallowed; my throat was dry. "Ok..."

As we approached the Alpha, I noticed a shiny, pale blue bowl placed on an altar. Inside of it was the Moonflower, the White Stag's golden antler, a dagger, and two pieces of cloth.

"Welcome, Anna," she greeted me. "Are you ready to perform the Rite?"

With a shaky nod, I replied, "Yes."

She motioned for Chrom and Lissa to stand to the side while she began the ceremony. "Mother Naga, the Moon Mother and guardian of all life, hear my prayer." She turned to the Statue of Naga. "Your newest daughter has worked day and night as your faithful servant. She has proven herself worthy by completing the Trials with determination and vigor."

I'm doing this. I'm actually doing this.

"She is willing to leave Human life behind, and she wishes to live one full of adventure."

No going back. I will never see Sasha or Father again.

"She has sacrificed so much to become your daughter."

No more human life. I'm going to be a Luna.

"Hear me as I speak: make Anna your true daughter! Accept her gifts to you! Gift her the soul of a wolf!" Emmeryn nodded to Chrom. He stepped forward. "She has built strong bonds with many members of the pack, one of your own sacred blood." She picked up the knife and cloth. She whispered to him: "Cut your hand and say the prayer you prepared."

Chrom nodded. "I, Chrom, Son of Naga and brother of the Alpha, bleed for Anna. She has proven herself a worthy member of our society. The bonds we share are strong, and I trust her enough to give my blood." With that, he ran the dagger over his hand, wincing a bit. Then, he held his bleeding hand over the bowl. "Hear my words, Mother Naga: guide Anna through her journey and help her back safely. We all care too much for her to let go."

I stared at him as he spoke, processing every word. I can't believe this... I really do have bonds with everyone... They truly do care...

Emmeryn took the dagger from Chrom and cleaned it off, handing him a cloth. He wrapped it around his bloody hand, shooting me a look of pride. I smiled at him, nodding my thanks.

Then, the Alpha handed me the dagger. "It is your turn, now."

Fear settled into me. Oh, gods. I can't do this. This is actually happening. Shakily, I approached the bowl. I looked up and Chrom and Lissa, my heart easing at the sight of their comforting smiles. Drawing in a breath, I said the words that would change my life forever. "I, Anna, Daughter of Naga, give my blood to you and the pack. I swear on my life that I will not stop until I truly prove myself worthy of being your daughter. I will not stop fighting for my pack. Ever since I stepped out of Grima's light and into yours, I have felt at peace; at home."