Chapter One

I do not claim to own any of this world; all credit to Veronica Roth, owner and writer of the Divergent trilogy.

*****

"The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off" ~ Anonymous

*****

I stand, my feet planted to the ground, staring straight into the eyes of my assessor. The crowd roars ferociously around me, baying for verbal blood, pushing for secrets, my secrets to be revealed.

My anxious eyes meet those of the men in front of me and behind me - their eyes are blank, soulless, their complexion emotionless. It scares me how zombie-like they are.

A blue butterfly floats up to my face, curiosity bursting from it like blossom from a tree. I was that curious once. Now I just wish that everyone would shut their traps and bolt them too. I've had more than my fair share of human voices, particularly my own, in the past few weeks, and if I'm truthful, I've had enough, but I don't want to be truthful anymore. My tongue itches to lie and mislead until it turns as black as ash and falls right off.

I can't back down now though, not today. If you make it through today, I tell myself, everything will be okay, everything will be fine. I shake my head to rid it of the silent laughter inside it - what a liar I am. Almost as bad as... no I can't think of my brother now, even if his image does swim in front of my eyes at least ten times a day. Must. Concentrate. The man in front of me is just about to speak.

"Amber Rose, your final assessment begins now. We appreciate your honesty." And that's the last phrase I catch before they all fade away.

***** 

When I wake, startled, my head and body are in the Candor compound dorms, yet my heart is still enduring the nightmare, so its rate is much faster than its normal 70 beats per minute. The first day of my training is today, but already I am dreading the whole month I will spend here, along with my final exam – if I make it that far, that is.

Other initiates transferred because they wish to always know and speak the truth. Because they feel the natural urge to be truthful. I am different. As different as the moon is from the stars above, sprinkling their stardust down onto us.

Enduring my life and my relationship with my family was difficult. Enjoying it and getting along with them... that was as close to downright impossible, as it’s possible to be. Like a snake and a rabbit becoming best friends. Let’s say the snake was a vicious and striking viper, and its deadly venom is able to kill you in minutes. But in my family, it was the rabbit that was the most dangerous, no matter how vulnerable it may have looked at first glance.

My older brother looked perfect – and that’s how I learnt that appearances could be distracting and manipulative. He hated me and the feeling was mutual. He forced me into doing the most horrible things that twisted my sanity into knots, but to my parents, he always seemed so cute and caring – like the perfect brother to me. Then he left for Dauntless two years ago and suddenly he didn’t have to pretend anymore. He was as ruthless as a sharp, silver knife, except for one thing – Once the blade was taken out of your side, the wound would still never heal. He left a long red scar almost like a farewell present. Remember me.

My parents were distraught after his departure. Their perfect son, not so perfect anymore, gone. I only reminded them of him and how he’d failed them – so my parents became my new tormentors.

Slowly and with aching joints, I clambered out of my bed, the nightmare still vivid in my mind. How would I, how could I pass this initiation? Candor wasn’t my aptitude test result; I had no aptitude for it at all. My only real reason for leaving was to escape the endless pain, and to get away from what was left of my broken family.

I hated them. I transferred from my home and my true faction – Erudite – because of them. They used me, they lied to me.

And I was sick of being manipulated. 

A/N : Yo people! Dedicated to paninigirl1112 cause she new here and awesome! LOVE HER AND FOLLOW HER TO MAKE HER FEEL SPECIAL