Chapter Four

"You will never get a second chance to make a first impression."~ Will Rogers

*****

We then play the First Impressions game. I studied this in faction behavior class at home – I mean at Erudite – so let me explain. People stick a sheet of paper onto their foreheads. A pen is distributed to each person and you go around, looking at other people and observing what they write on other people before writing your first impression of them on their forehead. However, you cannot see what they are writing on you until the end of the allotted time.

In Amity, the people often play this game, posting good qualities that will make people feel happy about themselves on each other. In Candor… it’s not necessarily good things – it’s more like anything goes.

Walking around, I try to analyse what other people may be like – I mean, it’s easy to know once you’ve spent time with them but right now I haven’t… and I don’t believe you should only judge a person by the way that they look or by what faction they come from. It’s what they think and what they do that should matter. But that’s Erudite thinking. So I must pretend to base my knowledge on shallow things until I am more confident in what it really means to be truthful or just hide what I write, although my mind is already jumping to attention, decoding who they are from their gestures and their movements.

As I lift my pen up to the forehead of a short boy – who wears glasses because he needs to and not just to seem smart – he quivers slightly and dodges my attempts at eye contact so I write ‘shy’. A girl looking down at me from her looming position above me and sneering is dubbed ‘rude’. A boy that smiles easily is ‘friendly’, a girl with red eyes and nose and unbrushed hair that she keeps playing with is ‘homesick’.

I pause in front of Callie though. She writes something on my forehead without hesitation, but what can I write for her? Undecided, I bite my lip as my pen wobbles in midair – I never had any real friends in Erudite, save for one girl when I was ten, who was always kind to me. But she’s in Amity now, and I’m here, and I’ve got to get a grip on that. My pen darts onto the middle of the page, forming letters, which in turn form a word. I glance nervously behind me – no one saw me write – and my shoulders sag with relief.

I saunter over to Julian, and write my biased, judging, appearance-based word on his sheet, big enough that he can feel what I’m writing. It’s a three-letter word that will probably just feed his already sizeable ego, but I can’t help it.

Julian grins at me, and I grin back and it’s like we’ve always been best friends. Hot.

*****

A/N: Dedicated to KiwiSushi149 for being awesome and updating her book 'Billionaire Beats' and also because all you guys know that this is chapter FOUR and this is a DIVERGENT FANFIC. whahey, so it's symbolic thingy - and I thought I should dedicate it to the person that loves Tobias Eaton the most. Right?