Chapter Five

"I love listening to lies when I know the truth."~ lovelessfreak

*****

Analytical. Erudite scum. Curious. Words litter my sheet as I stare at it in the common room while Julian and Cal talk as they fetch drinks for us all. Awesome. Callie wrote that one. Super cute chick. That’s Julian. I smile sadly. I’m lucky to have such great friends. Although the rest of the comments, like the scum one and the one that says ‘puny’ are hurtful, it’s the one slap bang in the centre that stings the most. Liar. Well, that much is true.

When my friends get back, with some fizzy drink that’s the same unappetising colour as the countless blood samples back we store back home, I still look kinda sad.

“What’s up, Sunshine?” Cal asks.

“Oh, you know.” I reply. “Airplanes, Dauntless zip wires.” Julian laughs and I turn to look at him. “What? Aren’t I supposed to tell the truth?” Yep. Supposed to. Omission isn’t really lying though, is it?

“Sooo…” Callie says, “Let’s see how awesome people think I am!” Really, really awesome, Callie. We just can’t tell you how awesome you are – though I’d tried.

Callie’s sheet is crumpled messily from when she shoved it carelessly in her bag earlier (mine was folded carefully with crisp creases and I think Julian is laminating his or something to stick on his bedroom wall) and smiles at it. Her hands smooth the folds in the paper out as she spreads it on the carpet for all to see, proudly.

Almost jealously, I stare at it in wonder – how many good words can fit on one single page? I mean, sure, I’m happy for Callie but I’m not that different from her, so why am I analytical scum and not she? It makes my heart thud faster to see all those little smiley faces and lovehearts dotted around the words. Why?

And then all of a sudden it’s Callie telling us she loves us, Jules saying it back while pulling us into a group hug and me, mumbling inaudibly and wondering just exactly how they both meant it. I think they have a bit of a thing for each other to be honest – it’ll just be something else to envy if hot guy and Callie start dating – but who knows. There are many dictionary definitions for the word ‘love’, and god knows I’ve experienced the opposite of most of them.

***** 

A/N: Thank you guys so much for reading this

I've got a bit of writers block at the moment on my other book (The Evil Inside) so this is like my side project, but I love it : )