The Promise

Clay's pov
I train in my room, Kai walks in without knocking... again... "Kai, I'm fine, you don't need to check on me every 10 minutes" he scratches the back of his head "Sorry, I'm just worried about you, I've thought I've seen everything, I've been turned to a gold statue once, so have my friends but I've never seen someone turn to stone before" I went back to training, I watch as he closed the door and sat on my bed, I ignore it and continue to train, then I started to fall forward, Kai catches me. I blush and say "Thanks, I'm not used to being the one saved, I'm usually the one saving people" he held my stone hand in his, even though I can't feel I liked it. Kai says to me "I promise you, we'll find a way to help you" I kiss him.

Monstrox's pov
I sat in the throne watching Ruina pace, talking about how she didn't expect this to happen, I ask "Why are you so worried about what Clay's interested in?" She pointed at me "Reasons!" She went back to pacing... ugh woman...

(I for some reason have this weird theory that Monstrox is Clay's father, I thought of it but ever since I heard about this Griff-possibly Clay's actual father-character on tumblr it seems less likely, I tried to look him up but found nothing, aren't you guys the least bit suspicious that Wanda became Ruina after spending so much time around Monstrox? That the creators decided to make her a female character instead of male? But then at that point they'd be ripping off Ninjago even then can you at least acknowledge it? Merlok says she got darker the more she was around Monstrox, it seems unlikely that just by being around a person would make them evil, maybe she was attracted to him, that could've draw her to him and made her more exposed to evil, either that or Monstrox corrupted her, Monstrox can apparently love due to his claim that he dated a dictionary... wait... where did he find the time to do that if he was trapped in Merlok's tower? Anyway back to the story, p.s I have a bit of a writers block)

Kai's pov
I hang up after talking with my sister, I told her I'm going to stay a bit longer, suddenly I hear footsteps, I walk out of the room and sneak around, I find Jestro walking toward the exit, "Where do you think you're going?" I say, he looked back "Oh hey Kai, I just need some fresh air" I walk toward him and say "Look if this is about before, I'm sorry" he shook his head and says "It's alright, don't worry, I'm not going to run back to Monstrox, I want to make up for my mistakes" he walked out and sat on the drawbridge door, does someone really need a door that big? I sit beside him.

We sat in silence staring at the stars, "I don't blame you" says Jestro, he continued "I made a lot of mistakes in my past, it's normal if you don't see me as a friend, I don't mind, I don't deserve your trust anyway... I had the will to go back but... I was always afraid, everyone pitied me, I highly doubt they'd ever trust me again... Clay was the only one who treated me like a normal person, he never laughed or made fun of me... he was my best friend, I just thought he didn't see it the same way that day... when it all went downhill... but now that I'm no longer evil by Monstrox's will I want to make up for my past mistakes, I want to help Clay as much as you do, will you help me achieve that goal?" I nod "Again, sorry about snapping at you back there" he playfully punched my arm "Like I said, I don't blame you, I probably would have done the same, tomorrow when we set the plan to action we'll beat the living daylight out of that cloud!" I chuckled "Alright, let's beat the crap out of a cloud" he laughed a little "Yeah it does sound kinda dumb and ridiculous, but Kai let's get serious for a moment... if anything ever happens... promise me you'll take care of Clay... please..." I nod squeezing Jestro's hand, "I promise"

Next day

I watch as the Knights fight the monsters, everytime I tried to help they said "We got this!" Or "We can handle it!" One time a Harpie flew toward me, Clay tried to help me in that battle suit of his but I stabbed the Harpie before he made it, the Harpie exploded into dust "Why won't you let me help Clay?" Clay replied "Kai we are more than capable of handling the rock monsters" I stabbed another nearby rock monster "Ok and? I just want to help out a little, I've fought Stone Warriors before" Clay shook his head as he knocked back three monsters with his giant blade "I know but we don't need your help, if you show yourself as a threat, Monstrox can easily have your head, no one will believe us that he is not the king" I shrug and say stabbing another monster "I think we're already past that point" he rolls his eyes groaning.

"But what if you say I was helping along side?" He shook his head "After that moment running away from him, everyone will be at his side" I shrug and stab another monster "Kai can you please watch from the sidelines and lay low?" I groan and walked back to the fortrex and sat by Jestro again, Jestro asked "They wanted you to stay in the sidelines?" I nod, "Had the situation under control and still refused help?" I nod again, we watch the Nexo Knights beat the crap out of the monsters, how can I be useful? Soon the battle was over, we went back to the fortrex talking about the plan.

We all plan to roll in with the fortrex while two of us, Jestro and I, sneak around the back, when we get close we will present a sheild to the king and then Merlok will use a spell to purify the king, our plan was ready, we'll do it tomorrow. For the rest of the day I talked with Clay and Jestro, Jestro is hilarious, I wonder why he resorted to evil in the first place, I only knew one knight joke, Who was the worst knight at the table? Sir Render! I felt like that would offend them so I didn't tell them. Jestro left to do his own stuff, so I used that time alone with Clay to get back to where we left off, I held his hands and we both leaned in, that's when my phone rang, I got a call from my sister saying there's trouble in Ninjago, Clay hears and says "Go Kai, they need you, we'll be fine, I'll be fine" I was still unsure, he insisted so we said our goodbyes and I went back home.

A day or two later

  Clay's pov
We follow the monsters taking the queen, Macy is determined to save her, so am I, with the queen everyone will believe us and we'll be able to set everything back to normal, purifying the king and Kai won't be banned anymore, also because Monstrox is an obviously crappy king. We rode on into battle, taking out every monster we see, getting closer and closer to the lost captured queen, I watch Macy flying above, the battle was a little difficult but we pulled through, I fought the monsters off with my battle suit but suddenly I felt stiff, I ignore it and kept going.

With each blow I felt stiffer, I look around seeing the monsters all gone, I look out onto the cliff staring at the sky, I was beginning to lose feeling in my face, was this really how it was supposed to end? It doesn't matter much anyway, there comes a time when a hero must make a choice, fighting with honor, real heroes laugh at death fighting until their final breath, but even then... I accepted it, that one day I'll end in a fight but yet I fear it, never in vain, I never even got to say goodbye... but even then I'm just glad my friends... no... my family, Merlok, Aaron, Axl, Macy, Lance, Ava, Robin... even Jestro, I'm just glad they're not here to see this. My vision became blurry, one day we will all meet again... I promise... soon everything went black.

"Hey look it's Clay, why is he just standing there?"

"You know he likes his heroic posing"

"Hey Clay c'mon, the queen is saved, let's go celebrate"

"...Clay?"