Chapter 18

Jessie's POV

“No.” I told Demi sternly. No way in fucking hell was I going to sleep in her bed tonight. I was independent, thank you!

“Well it sure seems that you're well enough to stay on your own. God knows what you could do!” Demi argued, sarcasm laced throughout her voice.

“I want to be independent for once!” I shouted back. I may not be that 'stable' in Demi's eyes, but I certainly thought I was in my own mind, but of course, Demi thought I was just some messed up girl who obviously couldn't look after herself.

“Jessie! You need help, an-” I interrupted her.

“NO, DEMI, I'M NOT GOING TO STAND HERE AND LET YOU TELL ME THAT I'M SOME FUCKED UP GIRL WHO NEEDS HELP, BECAUSE I AM TRYING TO RECOVER, YES I SLIPPED UP, BUT STOP MESSING WITH ME, SERIOUSLY. I'M SICK AND TIRED OF YOUR SHITTY GAMES!” I yelled at her, making her jump back slightly in response, but quickly gained authority again.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I had never sworn in front of Demi, she was my mother and I felt like she had to be treated with respect, hence why I was such a 'good girl' all the time.

Suddenly, I felt a sharp sting in my cheek, I can't believe it. Demi had slapped me. My eyes started to pool with tears, blinking them back, I lifted my hand slightly, touching the tender skin. I was upset, angry, scared, it felt like every single feeling was piled on me at once. Even happiness, it sounds stupid, but happiness that I finally knew the truth about what Demi felt towards me. My adrenaline pumped through my veins, but I resisted the terrible urge to hit her back. I wanted to be, and was just proved to be, the better one in this argument, so I showed her exactly that, resisting the overwhelming urge to knock her out there and then.

“Jessie, I-I'm so sorry baby, I-”

“You what Demi? You hate me, because you can certainly can show it when you want to!” I had my fists clenched, I was on the edge of breaking down, but I couldn't in front of Demi. “You know what? I'm not your rag doll that you can just toss around like I cost nothing. I hoped, and I prayed, that your would be different, but you're just like everyone else. Pathetic.” I spat and turned around into my room, leaving a shocked Demi standing there.

As soon as I closed my door, I let the tears cascade down my sore cheeks. I couldn't believe that Demi did that. She promised! She promised me that she loved and and she vowed to never hurt me...

But promises are made to be broken.