Chapter 24

-Jessie's POV-

I watched from behind the doorway as Nick and Demi cradled from side to side, with Nick rocking her like a baby. They looked so in love, but Demi looked over worked and stressed. Maybe I was a burden after all. I slowly decided to lift my fist and knock the door.

It seemed the knock echoed around the house as the dread filled me from head to toe. Nick looked around with a 'hard' expression, but it softened when he saw me. He motioned for me to stay in the doorway so he could tell Demi something. At least I think that's why he told me to wait because he leaned down to Demi's ear and said something. I saw Demi nod and looks the other way, opposite me.

She hated me.

Nick motioned for me to come in, and I slowly stumbled in. As soon as I felt Nick's gaze on me, my eyes diverted to my shoes. I knew I had to say something, otherwise it'd just make things more awkward then they already are.

"I, um, I'm sorry, to both of you." I stuttered. Nick touched my shoulder, sending a warm smile my way, which I would normally be somewhat scared of, mainly because he placed his hand on my shoulder. I mean, Demi even tried that, I mean, she tried to stroke my hair and I pulled away from her.

The one person I could trust.

But then there was Nick, he somehow reassured me even now, when I thought I couldn't trust anyone.

"It's okay, thank you, Jessie, for protecting Demi when you thought she was in trouble." I smiled shyly at him. "You know, I really love being knocked to the ground viciously by a girl. It's by far my favourite thing to do." Surprisingly, I allowed a small but still awkward laugh to escape my mouth.

I had never felt this comfortable around a man before. Not after my Dad did what he did... But Nick was different, he understood me, and the constant vibe he had all the time, was just... Perfect.

I snapped out my thoughts and quickly remembered how awkward the atmosphere was in here and made my move to leave.

"Anyway... I better go..." I do admit I was a little annoyed and saddened by Demi's sudden burst of hatred. I didn't know what caused it though. I would find out later I guess.

But she was the one to hit me!

That's what I thought. But now she's acting like she never wants to see me ever again. Not surprising.