Chapter 15

Sharon rummaged through her wardrobe making the final decision what to take with her. She'd packed almost everything the previous night but had had a last moment of indecision. And of course she couldn't take too much when she was only supposed to be going to Rhonda's for the weekend. She grabbed a formal dress and carefully folded it since she'd told Louis he had to at least take her out to dinner one night. Satisfied with her selection she opened her jewellery box and took out a ring that fit the third finger on her left hand. She put it in her purse for later, not daring to wear it when her mom might spot it and smell a rat.

"You're going early," her mom said as she came downstairs with her bag.

"Oh Louis said he'd take me to Rhonda's but he has some stuff to do so he needs to drop me off now," Sharon said trying to sound casual.

"He's not working?"

"No, not today." Sharon's mom frowned.

"I hope he's not having problems at work already?" Sharon held in a sigh, her mother was always so critical.

"No, it's just a day off. So he said he'd drop me at Rhonda's if I was ready early." Her mom's brows furrowed, and Sharon knew she sensed something was off.

"Rhonda's parents are ok with you hanging out there all weekend?"

"Of course, and it won't be all weekend, we'll mostly be out. But if her parents get fed up I'll come back home. I'm taking a key so it doesn't matter if you're out or not." She made herself stop speaking as she was in danger of rambling.

"You girls will probably be at each other's throats after an hour," her mom said frowning. "Why are you spending so much time together?"

"Oh Rhonda's having problems with Goose. They've split up and she's pretty down about it."

"Well that's probably for the best," Sharon's mom said looking at her closely. "There's no rush to settle down."

"No there isn't," Sharon said thinking it was best to just agree. 

"Look I'll run you over to Rhonda's, I've got some shopping to pick up anyway." Sharon's stomach dropped.

"Oh Louis will have already set off, he was doing a few errands first," she said thinking rapidly. "But you can go now, I'll lock up."

"You know Sharon, you're kinda taking advantage of him. He's going to get fed up with you treating him like a glorified taxi service." Sharon held in a sigh, her mother was determined to get at her from every angle.

"Well we'll probably go to lunch before he drops me at Rhonda's. I'm not using him, he offered to take me." Her mother cocked her head to the side.

"Did he? Or did you manipulate him into offering?" Sharon held her breath, forcing herself not to bite back. "You can be so demanding, and Louis....well he panders to you. It's not healthy."

"No I guess it isn't," Sharon said giving her mother a tight smile. "I'll work on being less demanding." Her mother looked at her suspiciously, and then smiled, probably happy that she'd got her point over without an argument.

                                                        ***

Stephanie admired her 'engagement' ring one last time as she made her way to Frosty's Palace to meet up with Paulette on her day off.

"I should leave you girls to it," Michael said pausing at the door. "You don't need me cramping your style." Stephanie laughed, pulling him through the door.

"Don't be daft, I want to see you on my day off. If I was gonna ditch anyone it would be Paulette." Michael frowned.

"Don't put your friends before me Steph, you've room for us all in your life." 

"But Paulette's a pain, sometimes I wonder why we're still friends." She suspected they continued their friendship out of habit, half the time she wondered if Paulette even liked her, she definitely resented her at times.

"Ok, keep your voice down," Michael said as they made their way to the table where Paulette was sat. Fortunately she was reapplying her lipstick and hadn't even noticed them.

"Hey," Steph said sitting down. Paulette looked up at them smiling.

"It's a nice surprise to see you too Michael." Steph grimaced, not sure if she was being sincere or not. 

"Steph insisted," Michael said apologetically but Paulette brushed his words aside.

"The more the merrier, I wish Johnny would be a bit more sociable with my friends but he doesn't like to hang out with girls." Steph spluttered, that wasn't the Johnny she knew. He probably didn't want to hang out with Paulette's friends since none of them were single.

"Maybe he doesn't want to share you," Michael said winking at Steph but Paulette brightened.

"Oh that could be it. He is so busy with work, I didn't think of it like that." Steph kicked Michael's ankle under the table, it was a bad idea trying to convince Paulette that Johnny was more devoted than he was.

"Anyway, I've got some news for you," Steph said smiling as she slowly raised her left hand. Paulette's mouth dropped open as her eyes widened.

"Is that what I think it is?" she asked almost awestruck.

"Yeah it is." Stephanie held her hand out for Paulette to get a better view of the ring. Paulette glanced at her hand, her mouth in an o shape.

"I guess congratulations are in order," she said sounding wistful. Steph frowned, Paulette was clearly perturbed thinking she was engaged.

"You can keep the congratulations on hold for now," she said pulling her hand back. "Michael's going to apply for the fiance visa so we've got to look like the real deal."

"Oh," Paulette said sounding no happier. Steph exchanged a confused look with Michael. "So you're not getting married?"

"Of course not," Steph assured her, although she had thought that Paulette might have been happy if she was. She could not work out her reaction.

"Right so the ring is just a gift?" Paulette asked.

"It's a loan from Michael's aunt," Stephanie said, still not feeling comfortable thinking of it as her own.

"It's beautiful. I wish Johnny would get me something as nice." Her hand reached up to the ring she wore around her neck but Steph could see it was rapidly losing it's meaning in Paulette's eyes.

"I didn't exactly get it for Steph," Michael said quickly. "It's just so we look like an engaged couple although there might be a bit of a problem there." Steph's eyes shot to him, and he cleared his throat. "I was reading some more about the visa and I think you have to apply for it before you're in the country. Or rather your American fiance has to apply."

"Oh." Now Stephanie's mouth dropped, she didn't think she'd be having to fill in the paperwork but it sounded like it was a non starter anyway.

"I'll look further into it," Michael said. "I might have it wrong."

"What will you do if you haven't?" Just when they had a moment to relax something had to spoil their happiness.

"I guess I'll see about going to college," Michael said sounding glum. "I was accepted into Rydell Community college, I just didn't plan to go." Paulette suddenly smiled.

"That's great, you'll be going to college with me." Steph idly wondered if Paulette would transfer her crush on Johnny to Michael. 

"I'd rather get a job," Michael said. "But it's not so straightforward when I'm an immigrant."

"I've got it," Paulette said her voice rising. "You and Stephanie will have to get married for real." She beamed at them both, and Stephanie's heart sank. It looked like the marital option was back on the table again.

                                                      ***