Chapter 26

"Paulette," Sharon said tentatively, not entirely opening the door.

"Not interrupting am I?" Paulette asked pushing the door open, and Sharon stepped to one side. "Only Johnny's working late, and I'm at a loose end."

"Come on through," Sharon said and Paulette did not miss the lack of enthusiasm in her voice. When she saw Louis sat there she figured she was intruding on a cosy date.

"Don't you guys ever go out these days?" she asked sitting down and Louis pulled a face.

Sharon picked a notepad up from the coffee table and held it against her chest. "Actually we were going out in a little while, I was just finishing getting ready." Paulette regarded her closely thinking she didn't look remotely like she was half ready, if anything her and Louis seemed settled for an evening in.

"I guess I should go then," she said reluctantly.

"Yeah, some other time," Louis said, and Sharon nudged him.

"Sorry Paulette, it's just bad timing," she said getting to her feet.

"I should have called but Dolores is hanging out with Davey, and I'm barely talking to Rhonda, and Steph's at work." Sharon gave her an impatient look, almost shooing her to the door. "Well have a good night."

"We will," Sharon said reaching to open the door as there was a knock from the other side. Sharon paused, before slowly opening the door, her face tense.

"Hey," Johnny said the words dying on his lips as he saw Paulette.

"Johnny! What are you doing here?" she exclaimed reaching forward to kiss him.

"I finished a bit earlier than I expected, and I was passing..." Paulette frowned trying to work out if Sharon's house was on Johnny's way home. Even if it was why would he stop by to see her?

"Come on in," Sharon said. "Louis is here, we were just about to go out." Paulette did not miss the look that passed between Sharon and Johnny.

Johnny cleared his throat. "Cool, I was hoping to catch Louis, that's why I'm here. I figured he hangs out here more than his folk's place nowadays." Paulette frowned. Johnny was rambling like an idiot, something was definitely not right.

***

Stephanie was having dinner at Michael's, and his aunt's relentless fussing was getting on her nerves.

"Would you like another drink?" she asked the moment Steph put her empty glass down on the table.

"No thank you, I'm fine," Steph said shooting Michael a look that he ignored. She knew she was being intolerant but after a long day at work she wanted to relax with Michael, not humour his relatives. She continued eating and almost breathed a sigh of relief when everyone was finished.

"I'll wash up," Michael said as his aunt began to collect the plates together.

"Don't be silly, you and Stephanie should go watch the news with your uncle." Steph rolled her eyes at Michael, the last thing she wanted to do was sit and listen to his uncle catastrophising about war with the Russians.

"You made us dinner, we want to wash up," Michael insisted, taking the plates from his aunt's hands.

"That's right," Steph added. 'It's the least we can do." Michael's aunt left them to it and Steph breathed a sigh of relief.

"She's a bit full on," she said quietly as they went through to the kitchen. Her own mom would happily pass the chores onto her.

"She means well," Michael said. "And she's letting me stay."