The Recovery

Before I start I want to let you know that this is like a part two of promises. That is the one shot just above this one. It's all about Ryan and the team after the fright in the Arctic. Enjoy!

The boys left the room to let Ryan rest. Mark went over to the couch and sat down with his hands on his head. He was still in shock. Just then Harris came over and sat beside him.
"Hey Mark. How are you holding up?
"I mean, I did convince myself that my brother was dead, then find him unconscious, then bring him back to a giant robot where I find out he was poisoned and will be weak for the next few months. Not to mention, I have to somehow come up with an excuse to tell my mom. I've been better." Mark replied.
"Yea...I'm sure Spyder could help you come up with an excuse though!" Harris replied.
"What am I helping with?" Spyder asked as he walked in the room.
"Mark needs an excuse to give his mom about Ryan." Harris explained.
"Ooh! I got it! 5 words: he fell in a well." Spyder said raising his finger in a genius got an idea kind of way.
"Umm one that is a stupid idea. And two, that doesn't explain his black veins." Mark added.
"Hmm right..." Spyder said. Just then they were distracted by the sound of Ryan shifting around in the med bay.
"He must be awake." Harris said.
They went over to go check on Ryan. He looked better than when they found him in the destroyed robot, but he was still in very bad shape.
"Hey Ry-guy, How ya feeling?" Mark asked his baby brother.
"C-cold." Ryan squeaked back. They were taken back for a moment by how weak he sounded.
"That's to be expected with the poison and hypothermia." Harris explained.
"I'll go get you some more blankets." Spyder said.
"I'll help too" Harris added. When they left the room Mark was alone with his brother.
"Mark...sit..." Ryan said. Mark sat down beside his weak little brother. Before he could say anything, Ryan shifted over and laid down on his brothers lap. He did this when he was scared or upset, but he hasn't done it since they were around 8 years old. Mark knew that he needed comforting, so he pulled his brother into a cautious hug, careful not to cause him any pain. Not too long after, Ryan fell asleep on his brothers lap. Harris and Spyder returned with more blankets and Mark motioned for them to set them on Ryan quietly, so he didn't wake up. Harris and Spyder left the room and went and sat in the x-deck. As for Mark, well he stayed with his brother and smiled, knowing his brother was safe now.

A few hours had past and Mark drifted off to sleep as well, Ryan still laying on him. When Ryan woke, Mark woke up too, noticing the movement.
"Hey bro. How'd you sleep?" Mark asked. Ryan nodded in as a sign of good. Just then he realized where he was laying and how long he had been laying there for.
"S-orry" he whispered.
"Hey, don't be. You haven done that since you were 8." Mark said smiling, "I'm here for you bro, even if that means letting you sleep on my lap for three hours."
Mark chuckled and Ryan tried to as well, but the pain made him flinch.
"It's okay. It's okay." Mark said, trying to calm down his brother. Ryan was back in the bed now, on a pillow. Mark looked at him and said, " I'm gonna go get you some things from home okay. I'll send Spyder in here to stay with you." Ryan nodded slightly. Mark left the room and Spyder walked in.
"Hey Ryan." Spyder said.
Ryan smiled as a sign of hello.
Spyder may be the comedian of the group, but he was very concerned for his best friend. He had never seen him so hurt, and he hated it.
"How are you feeling?" Spyder asked.
"Tired...c-cold...hu-rt" he squeaked out.
"Yea...Harris said you'd feel like that for awhile, but you'll be back on your feet in no time!" Spyder said encouragingly.
Ryan nodded. He had something to say, so he tried to gather as much strength as he could to say it.
"Spy-der" Ryan said quietly. He was struggling to speak. He kept going.
"Yea Ry?" Spyder said back.
"Th-thank...you..." Ryan weakly said. He was thanking the weapons specialist for sticking with him throughout this journey, even though he could leave whenever he wanted, and for being his best friend and sticking with him through the good and the bad times.
"For what?" Spyder asked.
"Ev-rey....thing." Ryan said before closing his eyes to rest once more. Spyder smiled and stood up before leaving the room to let his best friend rest. He went to go see Harris to let him know that Ryan was asleep again. Mark had just returned and had brought a bunch of things from home to keep Ryan comfortable while he healed.