Chapter XXXIII: Leftovers

Z A U N E A
I've met people who don't know how to say thank you but a smile wouldn't hurt, right?

She took it from my hand with a look on her face like she's being forced to check on her fevered ass. Patience, Zaunea.

She put it inside the skins of her arm pit. However, I went to the bathroom to change my clothes and wash my face.

"Ilan daw?" I asked as soon I stepped out of the bathroom patting my face dry.

She carelessly placed it on her bedside table and covered her face together with her body with her pink blanket.

I grabbed the thermometer and checked on it.

This girl's almost on fire.

I took some medicine out of my kit and a glass of water from the kitchen. I left it on her bedside table and went to my own bed.

As I was facing the wall trying to sleep, I heard her place the glass on the table. I was hesitant and scared that she might make me look like a potato for the hundredth time in this room for not speaking to me. I heard her mattress bounce once. That's when I slowly faced her direction and noticed a paper sitting on top of my bedside table which i don't remember putting.

"Good night. —Sasha"

Girl, kinilig ako.

I slept with a wide smile and a jumpy heart.

___________________________

R I C C I

Nasa'n ba yun? Ba't di nya sinasagot tawag ko. Dalawang beses na ko tumatawag di parin sinasagot?!

"Uy, para ka namang pinagsakluban ng langit at lupa" sabi ni Kuya Prince na nakikipagharutan kay Riley

"Di sya crush ng crush nya! Bleh!" Singit ni Riley at dinilaan ako. Loko loko talaga tong batang to eh.

Inirapan ko lang si Riley at tumingin ulit sa cellphone ko kung may bagong activity ba si Zaun, tapos hindi ako sinasagot.

"Di sumasagot si Zaunea sa tawag eh. " sagot ko kay Kuya Prince na nakangangang iniintay pa kanina na makwento ko.

"Okay na kayo?" Tanong ni Kuya Prince na may ngiti.

"Hindi pa. "

"Why not?"

"I haven't talked to her. "

"What? Are you trying to wait for her to come to you and say sorry? That's not what diamonds do. They don't crawl to you. They aren't pingpong paddles with a string attaching a cheap plastic ball. "

"Ikaw rin.. balita ko basketball player din yung isa. Di lang nagpursue nung nagcollege.." dagdag pa nyang pangongonsensya at kinarga na si Riley palabas ng kwarto. It may sound impossible pero kaya naman naming kargahin si Riley. Mapapaire ka lang talaga, it's inevitable.

I don't know how Kuya knew. Probably from Brent. Chismoso talaga yun.

Wait, it all makes sense. Brent has Zaunea's number. Kasi the night that involved my drunk fist, I talked shit to Zaun daw through Brent's phone. Hay nako, Paraiso.