17)

I walk home alone as the boys try to get used to Somi's presence. Only Seungmin know who she is. Now, Jisung can't even help me because he's with the person whose the reason why I became how I am. Boys are so stupid sometimes.

I open the door and slam it shut. My step mom glare at me but I could care less what she has in store for my torture chamber today. Instead of waiting for her to say something I head up to my room but I pause before going in. 

"What do you want?" I ask sternly. Sohye stood up surprised to hear me speak up after almost ten years. She stood there frozen in shock. I sigh and smirk.

"What? A mute got your tongue? Let me guess? Did I took your voice away this time? Or did I snatch your dream boy whose now living his life happily with his girlfriend." I joked casually as if none of this was shocking to anyone nor hurtful. 

Before I know it, I was engulfed into a hug. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." She cried softly into my chest. I was taken a back in surprised shock. What's going on now? Can my life get any more messed up than this?

I pat her head and let her cry out her apologies. Sometimes I hate her and sometimes I don't. She is supposed to be my sister besides that we live under the same roof so to put it, we're family either way. It was god who made us like this. Though, technically, I wasn't mute. I was just afraid. 

---

Y/N sat on her bed side as her step sister calms down into slow breathing. Sohye sighs and pull out her phone and hands it to Y/N. "Use this if you don't want to talk." She said softly.

Y/N shook her head no. It is about time this happen. She can't always be the quiet one that goes along with the flow because of her miserable life. She has to learn how to fight for herself and more importantly help herself. 

Sohye couldn't bring the courage to face her step sister who she's hurt for years since they've moved in. Y/N knew she wouldn't be the first to talk so she decided to speak up first since it's been a while since she's last used her voice box. 

"You have something to say then say it?" She said.

"I'm sorry." Sohye reply. Y/N shook her head at the poor girl's state. Not that she should be feeling sorry since she did tortured her in the beginning too but she wasn't the one to cause her to become mute. 

"It's fine. You're forgiven. I hold no grudges unless I have a reason to." Y/N explain. 

"But I hurt you! I hit you, I tortured you, I even called you names and lots more in the past too. Why?" She ask her more and she felt herself soften a bit seeing someone begging her.

"Because," Y/N smile, "you're still my sister even if we're not blood related."

Sohye's eyes teared up and she look away. Y/N stood up and head out her room.

"I want to help you." Sohye said causing her to stop from reaching onto the door knob. She didn't turn around but remain still. "I really don't know why you decided to shut yourself out and become mute even though you're really not. Will you tell me a story?" Sohye ask nervously. 

Y/N locks the door of her room for no interruptions from the outside and began her story.

"Let's say it started with my bad ways of making friends."

---

I remember every detail well. I was in elementary school at that time when I met Somi. My father has just remarried. That's how I met Sohye and my annoying step mother. Sohye was nice to me at first but it all changes because of my step mom. She never liked me. To her, I was just a stray child left by my mother who died about two years before.