CONTROVERSY OF COLORS Part 23

Scott and Bernice, worked out their problems and decided to bring Ronnie around to meet his father.

That evening, all the children went home, as Jamie and Johnnie began to complain about Johnnie getting to know Ronnie a little better. Still, Jamie was not getting anywhere with Johnnie as he refuses to start a relationship with his brother.

The next morning Tim caught up with Johnnie and told him the election was rigged and Johnnie should be president of the student council.

"Some of the Black kids, stop some of the White kids from voting for you."

"How is that possible? The voting poll was guarded by the faculty members. Look, I'm not trying to hear that, so, just stop."

"You just don't know, they gather early to put their plan into motion. As the Black kids were getting off the school bus, one of them got up on the platform where the statue of Boundary use to stand and knocked him off, then told the rest of the students if they vote for you this is what will happen to them, If you don't believe me go talk to some of the White students," Tim said as Johnnie gave him a (get real look) " Okay, where is old man Boundary's statue."

"Look, Tim the elections are over, and I don't want to go back down that road again, if they voted for Ronnie then it's Ronnie's, Now back off."

"What's the matter with you? Is it because you are Black now!"

Johnnie gave Tim an evil look and stood in front of him as though he waited for Tim to keep talking. Tim backed off and put his head down in shame, both boys went their separate ways.

THANKSGIVING

It is Wednesday morning and everybody is excited about their Thanksgiving. The commotion in the halls tells how everyone plans to spend their Thanksgiving.

"Hi, Ronnie, where have you been hiding? I mean you completely disappeared."

"Oh, Hi Sammie, it's so good to see you, but I haven't been really hiding, I've just been busy, with the student council and basketball, I haven't had any time for myself. How is Jamie?"

"Oh, she is fine, speaking of the student council, some of the kids said it was rigged,"

"Look, I did my job and got voted in, now if you are feeling some kinda way for Johnnie, then I'm sorry, but I ran an honest campaign."

"Oh, it wasn't you,  it was some of your fellow Black students."

"There, you see, they wanted me!"

"Anything you say, oh, by the way, my mother and I are going over to our father's for Thanksgiving, why don't you and your mother join us?"

"My mom is cooking, and we will be having our own dinner alone, I mean it is a little late to be inviting someone for Thanksgiving dinner, don't you think? After all, it is tomorrow."

"Well, I thought you and your mother could join us as a family instead of eating alone, I mean we are family now, you could put your dinner up until Friday."

"So you and my mother says, but I'm not sure everyone in your family feels that way, besides, I don't want to wait to eat my mother's good Thanksgiving dinner until Friday, I've been waiting for two weeks for that dinner, and I don't want to wait any longer I'm ready to just dig in right now, wait! what's wrong with you girl?"

"I swear, you and Johnnie, to be twins and twins are suppose to be different as night and day, but you and Johnnie are so much alike it's scary."

"Sammie, you slay me."

The bell rings and everyone runs to their class.

That evening as everyone prepares their Thanksgiving dinner,

Bernice and Ronnie worked all night while enjoying their time

together. As the potatoes boiled and while the turkey was roasting

in the oven, Bernice and Ronnie put up their Christmas decorations.

"I love decorating for Christmas during Thanksgiving. My family always had the first house on the block with Christmas decorations up before anyone else."

"I don't know Mom, to me Thanksgiving and Christmas kinda go together."

"Yeah, It does, doesn't it."

Meanwhile, unlike the Perry family, the Payne family prepare for

Thanksgiving a little different, while Janice was baking pies and

cakes, the children were off doing their own thing, like playing

games, watching television and daydreaming about the birthday party

 she had; Jamie was in her room think of the impact that the party had a

influenced strongly by her as a popular student in school, the Monday morning after the

party, all of Scott's kids, excepted Ronnie, walked to school

together, not knowing what was waiting for them; that morning at

school, the students cheerfully discuss the fun they had at the party.

Jamie was so pleased, she felt she would be the most sought-after

because of this party, which made all the difference in the world to

Jamie.