CONTROVERSY OF COLORS Part 12

"Yeah, well, I'm her brother too," Ronnie said to himself, however his heart wanted to say it out loud but to keep down confusion he did not reply to the remark he just walked a way; nevertheless, little did he know that Johnnie and Jamie over heard him.

"What did he mean by that?" Johnny yelled, while still trying to find out what Ronnie knows. "I told you Jamie, he knows something."

"I thank that you are right Johnnie, he does know something but what? And like you said how?"

"I don't know but I think he knows something by the way he talks."

"Well, I know how we can find out; by his school records."

"And how do you propose that's going to tell you what's on his mind?"

"I don't know, but you can just tell what's up with a person by their records, where they've been, who they are related to, because he did act funny about dad, anyway, just leave that to me."

Johnny and Jamie went to the school office to inquire about

school records, but to do that the secretary would give her the run-around, so Jamie created a disturbance to get the secretary away from her office. The school secretary was so dismayed she went to the principle to complain about Jamie's actions towards her.

"Quick Johnny, look him up in the computer and see where he comes from or if he might be related to dad in anyway. And do it quick because when she comes back, she is going to have to have the principle with her."

With Johnny being a wiz on the computer, it didn't take him long

to figure out where Ronnie came from.

"Jamie, he is from Dad's home town!Well that explains a lot; he knows our family."

"Somebody is going to tell me something." Jamie said to herself.

As Johnnie began to wonder what is going on with Ronnie

Jamie just walked away. As soon as school let out Jamie felt she

had to put this puzzle together. Jamie began to duck and dodge to

give Ronnie and Johnnie the slip. Although avoiding them was the

lesser of her problems, Jamie, went to see her mother, because

Jamie, feels she seemed to be the only one that engaged in any

responsibility in this distasteful situation.

"Mom we have got to talk." Jamie said. "I'm at an end with Johnnie and my friend Ronnie, Mom I like him, but Johnnie is in the way you remember Mom, I told you about him and how he

looks just like Johnnie, but he is Black." Jamie cried.

For years Jamie knew she was White and now she is Black she

knew her mother did not tell her everything about who her and her

brother are so Jamie slowed down her conversation to watch her

mother's reaction to her liking the boy that looks a lot like Johnnie,

just to see if her mother knows more then what she is saying.

"Somehow, Mom I don't know why but Johnnie has a problem with him."

"Well maybe Johnnie knows who the boy is."

"What? What do you mean Mom?" Jamie asked with her heart dropping to her feet Jamie slowly sat down, with her heart jumping in a non stop pumping like the time clock on a bomb as her mother dropped a bomb on her.

"Yeah, he is your half brother; he is your father's other child; he is Johnnie's twin brother."

"Mom, but how, and why did Dad do this?"

Janice went on to explain to her daughter how she and Ronnie are half sister and brother.

"Jamie, I went to see Scott's family at Scott's family's house, with Johnnie in my arms. Everybody thinks Johnnie is my child, Johnnie does not know who he is, your Dad never told Johnnie about his real mother or his brother Ronnie."

"Mom how could you and Dad do that to him?"

"Well, it worked out find until Bernice showed up."

"What? So you are telling me, it's okay to lie, just as long as you don't get caught. Well what's happening now? What are you and Dad doing to get Johnnie's life back and on track."

Janice held her head down in shame because she was not doing

anything she had hoped the situation would just go away.

"I don't know," Janice said. "This is your fathers mess. Incidentally, before you go flying off the handle and running off at the mouth. Scott didn't tell Bernice where he was going when he

took her child from her. So your father fears Bernice might have him arrested, if she ever finds him, so let's not let the cat out of the bag trust me, it can get ugly."

"Mom it is already ugly."

"Baby, be a good girl for me and just let your father handle things."

"That's the problem because he is not handling anything Mom, Dad and Johnny wants to go on with this lie. Mom, is she olive complexion too?"

"No, honey she has a brown skin tone, I can only assume just like Ronnie, which is why he did not marry her."

"What? You people are color struck also."

"No baby, it was the times. Back then people were treacherous, they were killing mix couples."

"The how did your mom and dad handle it?"

"I have no idea I never ask them, about it. But because of Dad we all claimed to be Black, regardless of my mother's family.

"Then that explains it, that's why grandpa hates Dad, because he wanted his family in the White world. Which cause you to lie about who you really are. And being kids we never question color, or race, we just knew every body was White."

While Jamie tried to be a little more sympathetic with her

parents, still her anger overwhelmed her. When she arrived home

she said nothing to her father. Jamie quietly went to her room and

prepared for school for the next day.

Meanwhile, Ronnie arrived home right at dinner time.

"Hum, everything smells good," Ronnie said as he enters the house, "Mom, can I go to any house parties?"

"Sure, why do you ask?"

"Well, I don't want to except, then get home and you tell me no, I can't go."

"I would do that," Bernice said with a smile.

"Oh, yes you would, you know you, (House party, oh no, we don't know these people around here)," Ronnie said while trying to mimic his mother and doing a poor job of it.

"I don't sound like that."

"Oh yeah ya do," they both laughed.