Chapter 16: For Whenever I'm Not There

My Other Half

Chapter 16: For Whenever I'm Not There

The crazy thing about life is we're all separate people living in stories. Stories we call our lives. We have our life, where everything is in the point of view of oursleves while your friends have a different life, one you don't know. You're just a background character in their life like they are in your story. With your parents, you don't know anything about their past. What they were like when certain situations of their childhood occurred or if they ever accomplished something they will never forget. Also, if they ever went through a faze you went through. That's the crazy thing about life, others around you are living their own and you don't realize that until you really think about it. You haven't experienced every moment with them even if they are the same age as you.

I woke up this morning to the smell of waffles coming from my kitchen downstairs. I look to the right of me and notice a missing Layla clearly explaining the smell of waffles. I grab my phone from my nightstand and pull the charger out of it. I quickly unlock my phone and dial Calum's cell number.

He answers on the third ring.

"Brianna, how are you?" I hear Calum's cherry voice through my phone.

"Pretty good." I mumble. "I just wanted to thank you again for last night." I state.

"No problem." It's like I can hear the smile radiating off him through the phone. "What are you doing today?" Calum asks trying to move the conversation to somewhere happy.

I rub my eyes from lack of sleep and yawn a little. "I'm probably going to go visit my mom's memorial." I state remembering the note from my dad last night stating that he wanted to go.

"Sounds good, do you want me to come-"

I interrupt Calum before he can suggest anything else.

"No it's fine. Layla slept over last night so she'll probably come with me but thanks." I state smiling a little from Calum's sweetness.

"Okay sounds good just text me later I have a surprise alright?" Calum states.

"A surprise. Calum you really didn't have to." I state feeling my smile grow wider.

"Just text me when you get back alright?" He states.

"Alright, I'll see you later alligator." I say.

"Dork." Calum mutters before hanging up.

I hang up as well and feel my cheeks heat up from Calum's comment. I hear the bang of a pot and remember Layla downstairs cooking. I rush to take a quick shower wanting to get the awful smell of the hospital off of me and to wash away all the bad news from yesterday away, hypothetically. I grab some clothes and rush towards my bathroom. After my shower I apply some mascara and foundation and put on my dark blue denim short shorts and my blue and gray plaid shirt. I spray myself and comb my hair into a messy bun since if I leave my hair all natural it becomes a birds nest. The one Calum described yesterday but worst.

I walk down the stairs and into my kitchen to see Layla placing the last of the waffles on a plate stacked high. If only Ashton was here, he would be jumping up and down like a five year old on christmas morning.

I sneak up behind Layla and give her a big hug from behind. "Thanks." I mutter breathing in the scent of her perfume.

"Your welcome." She smiles.

We both sit down and eat for awhile until her phone rings and she picks it up. I continue eating and watch her stand up from the table her tone of voice changing into an irradiated one. She hangs up the phone and turns to me.