Chapter 17: Fairytale Disaster

My Other Half

Chapter 17: Fairytale Disaster

People always say expect the unexpected. But how are you suppose to expect the things you never thought would happen. The unexpected things only happen in dreams so when they do happen in real life your whole world is turned upside down. Something great is finally happening and you get to experience it in real life.

Seeing Calum on my front porch patiently waiting in one of my lawn chairs makes my heart do a tiny back flip.

I start walking towards my front porch and Calum stands up.

"I thought you wanted me to text you?" I question raising my eyebrow at him jokingly.

"I was busy doing something." He says shrugging his shoulders.

I can barley see this gesture because of the darkness overcoming us from the sun fading.

"Doing what?" I question inching closer to Calum and smiling.

"I'll show you." He states grabbing my hand and pulling me down the porch steps and into my backyard.

I look up from where we are standing and face about fifty to a hundred twinkling lights above our heads. I gawk at it embracing the twinkle and it reflecting off my house. I never thought something like this could happen in real life. Calum guides me towards my deck where my patio furniture is neatly set up where my dad and I left it but with a few candles, an envelope and candies covering the emptiness instead.

"Look." Calum whispers in my ear pointing to my old trampoline that is now lit up with fairy lights all around the net.

"How did you- when did you- Calum." I gush flabbergasted.

He smiles, like he just won the lottery when in reality I feel like I won it instead.

"Just for tonight can we forget about everything that happened back in London and what's happening here and focus on this." Calum pleads grabbing both my hands and facing me.

"Of course, Thank you." I mutter kissing him on the cheek.

"Last one in the trampoline is the biggest wiener." Calum screams launching himself in a full run.

I run after him but with his long ass legs and head start did you really think I could beat the next usain bolt?

I wish I did but nope, I'm the biggest wiener of them all now . . . and in the beginning that was my thing. The way certain things turn around.

"Cheater." I grumble under my breath slipping off my shoes before getting in the trampoline with Calum.

"Sorry what?" Calum states placing his hand behind his ear like he couldn't hear what I had just said.

"You heard me." I grumble folding my arms across my chest.

Calum starts jumping launching me up in the air whenever he lands but my stance doesn't leave.

"Bri come on." He states placing his hands on my shoulder. "Popcorn?" He suggests.

My eyes lighten up, "I love that game." I state flopping to the ground and pulling my legs up to my chest. I hold my legs tightly against my chest before muttering a go to Calum.

So Calum starts bouncing up and down all around me. Getting closer and closer and my laughs getting louder and louder before my arms weaken and my legs spring out into a starfish.

I sit up on my butt and can't help myself from continually laughing. "No one can ever really win that game." I mutter shaking my head.

"Agreed." Calum states. "My turn?" He asks reaching a hand out to help me up.