Chapter 21: Promise?

My Other Half

Chapter 21: Promise?

Calum's P.O.V

*song at side*

The beat of I Miss You by Blink182 starts faintly playing in the back of my mind in my dream. I suddenly realize my ringtone is the same song and jolt up from my sleep.

I pat around for my phone until I feel it under my pillow attached to my charger.

I unplug it and touch the screen to bring it up to my ear.

"Hello?" I murmur.

"Calum?" A fragile voice asks.

I try rubbing the sleep out of my eyes to look at the number on my phone's screen but fail in attempt.

"Yes, who is this?" I ask leaning my elbows up on my pillow.

"Hi darling." The voice comes out soft, caring. "This is Brianna's grandma. I'm sorry we have to meet this way."

The sleepiness from before fades away as I'm soon wide awake from the sound of Brianna's name. I look to my alarm clock and see the time.

3:50am

Shit.

"What's wrong? Is everything okay?" I ask urgently sitting up from my bed to grab some clothes.

"No." Brianna's grandma states gently. "Brianna's dad didn't make it." She whispers her own voice breaking.

I can hear quiet whimpers in the background and remember the familiarity of them.

"Brianna really needs you Calum. For some reason I think she needs you more than anyone." She whispers her words breaking.

"I'll be there." I state rushing around my room and grabbing clothes.

"Thank you darling." Her grandma murmurs before hanging up the phone.

I slip on a pair of black sweatpants and my grey NASA shirt before ruffling my hair to make it look less bed like.

I slip my phone in my back pocket and grab my car keys as I dash to open my bedroom door.

The image of Brianna's reaction to all this flashes before my eyes and I stop in my tracks just as my bedroom door opens without my touch.

My mother stands in my doorway in her night gown looking me up and down at my attire. A look of worry flashes through her eyes as she notices the car keys in my hand.

"What's wrong?" My mother asks urgently.

"Mum go back to bed its alright." I state reassuringly placing my hand on her shoulder and guiding her out my room.

"Calum don't lie to me. Whats wrong? I can help, you know that." She states stopping in her tracks to turn around and face me.

"Brianna. She uhmm." My voice cracks. I look up at my mother and see her expression soften and her eyebrows furrow in guilt. "Her dad didn't make it mum." I whisper looking down at the floor.

I feel my Mum's arms wrap around my neck in a bone crushing hug. But it's not so much bone crushing it's more the hold of a mother never wanting to lose her son. So I react back with a bone crushing hug from a son who never wants to lose his mother.

She pats my hair down soothingly, "Take care of her. She needs you more than you think." My mother states letting go of her hold around me.

I smile at my mum, "I don't know how Mum." I mumble scratching the back of my neck in worry.