Chapter 8. Asking the Impossible!

What do you all think of Zack so far? 

Chapter 8

"You need my help to protect the pack?"  Sophie said incredulously.  "The pack who stood back for years and did nothing while I was beaten and raped.  Is that the pack you want me to help protect?"  She laughed bitterly.  "Well you've come to the wrong person Zack, I wouldn't help those people even if you paid me."

"Please Sophie, you don't understand.  The wolf council are aware of what happened to you.  They have told us that unless we can make it right with you we will have to go before them for trial.  You know what that means, if we are found guilty, myself, my parents most of the adults could be put to death."  Zack began pacing back and forth in front of the window, his agitation clear.  "I know I'm the last person you would choose as a mate after everything that happened but if we don't mate then the pack will loose everything."  Zack looked away, his shoulders dropping slightly.  "I'm not asking for myself or even for my parents, but I will ask you to help the children of the pack.  What will happen to them if their parents are banished or worse executed. Most of them would have nowhere to go, no one to take them in."  Zack said passionately.  "My parents and I, we don't deserve your help but can you say the same about the children?"

Sophie couldn't believe her ears.  "Are you fucking kidding me!  Are you actually standing in my home trying to emotionally blackmail me into returning to your pack.  How dare you!"

"I'm sorry Sophie, I really am.  But I will do whatever I have to do to protect my pack, our pack.  Most of them don't deserve to go before the council, they did nothing wrong.  They didn't know what was happening to you.  They shouldn't have to pay for the crimes of a few and the kids definitely shouldn't be punished."

"Might I remind you Zack, that two of the few  you talk about are your parents.  Why are they not going before the council and taking responsibility for their actions, or rather their inaction.  They could end all this now."

Zack sighed and lowered his head.  "You know why Sophie, you know they would automatically be executed, and I know what they did was terrible, monstrous even but they are my parents.  I have to try and help them."

"And what about me Zack?  Who's gonna help me?  Do you think I can just go back there as if nothing happened?  Well I can't!  I just can't do it.  You will have to find another way to help your parents." 

"It's not just my parents Sophie, it's my job to protect all pack members and there are many who don't deserve what is happening and they are the young of the pack.  Please Sophie"  Zack begged.  "I've never begged for anything in my life but I will beg for this, for your help.  Help me protect the children."

Sophie wanted to scream and rant at the man standing before her.  The bitterness she felt towards the people who had turned their backs on her as a child did deserve punishment, and although she was loath to admit it, he was right, the young of the pack were innocent and did not deserve to possibly loose their parents.

But she just didn't know if she physically or mentally, had it in her to return to that place.  And she wasn't even gonna start contemplating how she would get through the mating.  She could barely even cope if a male stood next to her in the line at the grocery store.  She couldn't do it.

"I'm sorry Zack, but I just can't.  I can't come back to the pack and I can't be your mate."  She said firmly.  "You will have to find another way.  I've listened to what you had to say and you have my answer, please leave now and don't come back.  Oh and make sure I don't have any more visits from Ron and his buddies or next time they might come home with a few extra holes."

Damn it!  Fucking Ron and his useless side kicks.  He should have know it was them as soon as Sophie mentioned they had threatened her.  He would deal with them when he got back.  But he had to keep trying to convince his mate to come home. 

"Please Sophie just think about it, don't decide right now.  I can give you a few days to think it over but please just........please, don't say no right now.  As for Ron, don't worry he won't be back and no one else except me will contact you, but if they do, feel free to make them leave however you see fit.  I will come back in a few days and we can talk again."  He started to walk towards the door before Sophie could tell him not to bother.

He placed a scrap of paper on the end table.  "I will leave my number in case you need to call me for anything, and I will see you again in a few days.  Goodbye Sophie."

He was out the door and down the walk before Sophie could utter another refusal.

As Sophie closed the door she rested her head against the cool surface and sighed gustily.  How could she make him understand that even if she wanted to, the thought of returning there filled her with fear and dread. 

And even the possibility of children loosing their parents might not be enough to overcome those feelings.  Even if it was the right thing to do she just didn't know if she was strong enough.

Will she or won't she.  Should she or shouldn't she?  Comment and vote if you are enjoying it.