Chapter 16. Unwanted Blast from the Past!

Zack had heard the expression "cut the atmosphere with a knife" plenty of times, but this was the first time he truly understood what it meant.

As he looked from his coldly enraged mate to Alpha Thomas, he could almost touch the air between them, it was so thickly filled with emotion.  Anger and disgust from Sophie.  Regret, anger and something else he could not quite identify, from the highly ranked council member.

"I don't understand Sophie, how could he have been your Alpha?"  Zack asked still looking from one to the other.

Sophie snorted indelicately.  "What's to understand Zack, He was the Alpha of my old pack before my parents died.  When they died I went to stay with him and his mate for a few days until he sent me to live here with him."  She said insolently.

The other council member, who had been watching silently, growled low in his throat.  "Watch your tone girl and show respect to Alpha Thomas!"  He demanded.

Sophie slowly turned her head and looked at the other male standing close to his council colleague.  He was a brute of a wolf standing at least six and a half feet tall, with shoulders and chest so big it looked almost unnatural.  He had an air of menace around him that made the hairs on the back of Sophie's neck stand up, and she knew that this wolf was the real danger in the room. 

But if she had learned one thing in the years with her torturer, it was how to read a person.  Although she could tell he was angry and her lack of respect towards the other Alpha, she could also tell he would not escalate the confrontation.  Not yet anyway.  He was holding his wolf at bay for some reason.  Normally such a display of insolence towards a high ranking wolf would be punished swiftly and harshly.  And by the tension she could feel emanating from Zack at her side, he was expecting just that to happen any moment.

She put her hand on Zack's arm, trying to calm his wolf and said to the unknown council member.  "My apologies to you Alpha, I mean no disrespect to you."  She smiled grimly.  "But I can not and will not show your fellow council member any respect.  For he does not deserve my respect!"

The unknown Alpha stepped forward angrily.  Alpha Thomas grabbed his arm, stopping him with a firm hand.

"It's ok Jacob."  Alpha Thomas said firmly.  "It's just a misunderstanding.  Sophie believes I knowingly sent her to an abusive situation and is justifiably angry."  He turned to Sophie.  "I can assure you, I did not know what your Uncle was.  If I had known....."

"LIES!"  Sophie screamed.  "I heard you and your mate that day.  After I left your office, I stood outside the door and I heard her tell you he was a monster.  And what was it you said?  Oh yes!  You said "it's pack law, there was never any proof of wrong doing, just rumours and accusations.  You then said you had to hope he had changed.  So don't you dare stand there, in front of me, and tell me you did not know what kind of a monster he was.  Your mate said to you she hoped I wasn't the one who would pay for your mistake.  Well let me tell you I did!  Every day for seven long pain filled years, I paid!  And you Alpha Thomas are partly responsible for every day of it!"

Sophie turned and ran out the door she had only moments before entered through.  As she ran down the steps, she fell to her knees, unable to breath past the band of steel crushing her chest.  Distantly, she could hear raised voices, but could not concentrate enough to work out what they were saying.

Zack watched his mate run from the house and turned to look at the two imposing wolves.  "What the hell?"  He shouted angrily.

"Watch yourself Zack," growled Jacob menacingly.  "I will not tolerate anymore disrespect to either myself or Alpha Thomas.  I will deal with the female for her attitude, but don't think for one moment your alpha title will stop me from punishing you also."