Chapter 32

"Sister Su, I don't understand. If you can't forget him, why don't you go find him? No matter the cause of the separation, if two people are deeply in love, and living in the same city, they can surely find their way back to each other." Yun Jin's inaction baffled Lu Lu.

Yun Jin replied "In the initial two years, I refused to look for him because I couldn't forget how he hurt me. I thought so what if we got together again? No one forced us to part; we did so because we didn't know how to love each other. My breaking up with him was no mistake or coincidence; it was only a matter of time. Later on, I gained insight into many matters but I no longer dared to look for him because I feared that he already found someone else. I was afraid that he found happiness after leaving me. The person who was once a huge part of me and was always within my vision now leads a separate life. Even thinking of it makes me sad ... In that case, it's better that we don't meet. At least, I can lie to myself. Anyway I'm already used to living alone. Even without him, I have and will survive."

"But, I still believe that two people in love should overcome all ends and stick with each other no matter what." The young, naive girl who had never been in love was adamant.

"You're probably right. I'm not a good role model. I shouldn't affect your outlook on romance." Yun Jin said self-mockingly.

As they were speaking, one of their colleagues, Xiao Mo, who had been singing on the third floor approached them "Manager Su, so this is where you are! It was so hard to find you. Someone's looking for you."

Yun Jin was puzzled. Following closely behind Xiao Mo was a young lady she had never met.

"Excuse me, may I know which one of you is Ms Su?" the young lady asked as she approached them. On closer inspection, she was at least over thirty but her make-up was nicely done and her attire was classy. Even her voice was sweet.

"That would be me. And you are ..." Her words had just escaped her lips when Lu Lu's remaining half-shot of Jack Daniels on the bar counter was splashed onto her face. Lu Lu screamed in horror and the other patrons came crowding around.

Yun Jin wiped away the alcohol that was dripping near her eyes before taking a good look at the hand that was gripping fiercely onto the glass, a hand that was immaculately painted in red nail polish. She was fairly certain of the woman's identity now.

"My husband's family name is Xu so you may call me Mrs Xu. It's nice to meet you Ms Su." The lady's tone was gentle, as though she was making an ordinary introduction.

At this, Lu Lu and Xiao Mo finally recovered from their shock and hurriedly passed wads of napkins to Yun Jin who slowly wiped off the excess alcohol on her face and hair as she tried to compose herself. This was an all too familiar scene; she too had once splashed cold water in Cheng Zheng's face. This must surely be retribution.

"Mrs Xu's greeting sure is unqiue."

The lady who proclaimed herself as Mrs Xu smiled demurely as she sized Yun Jin up. Then she spoke harshly "You don't look bad, certainly not a slut. Xu Zhi Heng's taste has improved. I never understood it though, why are good-looking Mainland women like yourself okay with being a kept woman?"

The alcohol was finally cleaned off and Yun Jin deftly swept aside a clump of hair that was plastered to her forehead. She smiled as she retorted "I am equally puzzled; why do you Taiwanese become abandoned wives when you hit middle-age?"

"You're too much!" the smile vanished from Mrs Xu's face as her beautiful hand came swinging round again.

Yun Jin was quick to grab the hand that was on the offensive as her tone became icy "Mrs Xu, I was in the wrong so I'll accept the alcohol you splashed at me. But sorry, I'm not about to let you slap me in public. If I were you, I wouldn't do that either because you'll soon realise that even if it makes you feel better, it would make your situation worse off."