Chapter 26

The much-anticipated Lunar New Year descended on the nation once again. As the largest-scaled national holiday, Yun Jin and Cheng Zheng both had a week off work. The previous year, both did not return home to celebrate. It was alright for Cheng Zheng because he had many opportunities to see his family throughout the year – his parents would occasionally make special stopovers to check in on him. As for Yun Jin, she had not seen her mother in over a year. She had conflicted emotions towards her mother; she missed her yet wanted to avoid her.

This year, her mother had phoned her early on and insisted she return to spend the new year together. More importantly, her mother had confided in the wee hours of the morning that because uncle's clothing factory faced stiff competition coupled with poor management, they had made a loss in the past two years. Since they couldn't turn the situation around, they sold the company at a discounted rate to repay their debts. Now, the family of three survived on uncle's savings. Although they were not exactly in dire straits, their living situation was incomparable to the past. Although Yun Jin was not close to her uncle, she was forever grateful that he had paid for her university education. As family, it was only right that she went back to pay a visit.

Two days before the start of the Lunar New Year, Yun Jin and Cheng Zheng flew back to their hometown. They alighted to find Cheng Zheng's parents and chauffeur already awaiting their arrival at the airport. His parents beseeched Yun Jin to stay with them a couple of days but Yun Jin's heart was set on returning home quickly. Moreover, she and Cheng Zheng had yet to wed thus she didn't think it was appropriate for her to spend the new year with his family. They were unable to make her stay and had no choice but to make arrangements for her to be sent back to the county. Cheng Zheng insisted on personally seeing her to her doorstep before reuniting again with his parents in the provincial capital.

While Yun Jin's mother had anticipated her return, she was still overwhelmed with emotions when they finally met. Yun Jin was no different; her heart ached to see her mother appearing wan after a year of not meeting. Obviously, she had not been truthful of the extent of their financial situation. Even uncle was not as chirpy as before. As her step-sister was still very young, she was very shy and spoke little to Yun Jin.

After dinner, Yun Jin and her mother finished washing up the utensils before adjourning to the master bedroom for a heart-to-heart talk. Yun Jin pressed her bank book into her mother's hands and said it was the least she could do as her daughter. Her mother initially refused but accepted it eventually. Truth be told, while Yun Jin had worked for the better half of a year, her savings were not substantial but working in prosperous G-city meant that her income was in the mid-range. Furthermore, staying with Cheng Zheng meant she saved on her accommodation. She had always insisted on sharing the utility bill and contributing to the living expenses but regardless, she was by his side and he would look after her and would never insist that she walk the talk. She did not need to worry about her own expenses so she did not hesitate to give them to her mother. She had no idea if her contribution was any help at all, but it was all she had.

Her mother comforted her by saying that the bleakest period had already passed. Uncle had stayed at home directionless but recently, at his friend's recommendation, he had been hired as a supervisor by another textile factory and would start work after the new year. Although he would be working in someone else's company from thereon, it was a much larger scale than the one he owned previously so he had more breathing space and did not worry about being unable to adapt to his new role as a subordinate.

"This is wonderful! It's all due to uncle being so capable." Yun Jin's worries were finally soothed.

"He may be capable, but he also required luck." Mommy sighed.