Chapter 40

Yun Jin made a quick stop at the Human Resource department before heading to Xu Zhi Heng's office to complete the necessary paperwork. Ever since her hospitalisation four years earlier, she had yet to utilise any public holiday or annual leave so Xu Zhi Heng gave her a generous fifteen day leave readily.

Just as she was about to leave his office, he asked in genuine concern "Yun Jin is everything alright? If you need any help, please feel free to ask."

Yun Jin laid her hand on the handle and forced a smile "Thank you for approving my leave."

She took the midnight flight back to her hometown. When Yun Jin alighted, she made a beeline for the provincial hospital. When she neared the ward, she noticed her uncle immediately; he looked as though he had aged overnight.

"Yun Jin, you're finally back ..." he only managed to choke out that much before breaking into heaving sobs.

"What's the situation like?" She couldn't even recognize her own voice at this point.

"The doctor said it's a relapse and that the cancerous cells have metastasized to the other organs. It's now end-stage cancer; chemotherapy won't be of any help."

She should have guessed as much. In the recent years, her mother had been feeling unwell intermittently. Yun Jin often encouraged her to go for a check-up but her mother had steadfastly refused – her reasoning was even if the cancer didn't kill her, the anxiety would so she would rather remain in oblivion. Her mother said bravely that she was grateful for every new day she was able to live. Perhaps, deep down, her mother had already suspected her condition had worsened.

Yun Jin pushed the door open to enter the ward; her hand was just as cold as the metal handle.

She wanted desperately for someone to tell her that she had entered the wrong room. Who was this cachectic, white-haired woman? How could it be her beautiful mother? Yun Jin sat at her bedside and bit down hard on her quivering lip to stop herself from crying.

"Mom ..." she couldn't help but call out softly although she was afraid of waking up the other sleeping patients.

Her mother opened her eyes slowly. When she saw it was Yun Jin, her bleary eyes flashed with joy before turning into sorrow.

"Yun Jin ... You're here ... You've come at the right time, I just dreamt of your dad. He was confronting me ... He reminded me that I once promised to spend my life only with him ... Yun Jin, he was upset with me ..."

Yun Jin wanted to hold her mother's hand in hers but she was thwarted by the many plugs and tubings. Her voice trembled as she replied "Daddy wouldn't blame you, he won't ... Doctor, Doctor! ..." Her mother's face suddenly contorted in pain so Yun Jin yelled towards the door. Her uncle and the doctor rushed in together but they were soon ushered outside.

Not much time had gone by but to Yun Jin and her uncle who were waiting outside, it had felt like an eternity.

When the doctor emerged, Yun Jin rushed forward "Doctor, how's my mother?"

"I'm not optimistic about the patient's condition. You should be mentally prepared."

"Save her. Please, I beg you. No matter the cost, please save her." Yun Jin choked out as she pleaded earnestly.

"Be rest assured, we will try our best for every patient." The doctor was expressionless as he gave his standard, professional reply. Yun Jin watched the doctor depart before suddenly collapsing onto a seat. Indeed, to every patient's kith and kin, the sick person lying in the ward was a loved one. However, to a doctor, it was just another patient.