Chapter 24

This was the first time Su Yun Jin was celebrating the Lunar New Year outside her hometown. At least, he was by her side. She placated her mother easily by lying that she had to remain on campus to continue her job hunt. Her mother didn't probe any further. On the other hand, since Cheng Zheng was his family's beloved child, Yun Jin was surprised that his family didn't kick up a fuss when he announced he wasn't spending the new year with them.

"They are okay with this? I wish!" Cheng Zheng explained "A week ago, I told my parents I wasn't going to remain in Beijing nor was I going back. Instead, I would be heading to G-city to work. My mother was very upset to say the least and droned on about how I've abandoned her for my new girlfriend. When I told her I wasn't spending the new year with them or my uncle either, my mother retorted that she wished she could stuff me back into her womb."

"Oh no! What are you going to do about it?"" Yun Jin found it both amusing and worrying.

Cheng Zheng grinned smugly "I told her if she agreed to let me go, she would gain a daughter-in-law. If she didn't, she would lose a son. So she had no choice but to agree albeit unwillingly."

Yun Jin was speechless.

"As for my uncle, my aunty emigrated a few years back so uncle and Zhang Yue will surely spend their new year overseas." Cheng Zheng added.

Even though it was just the two of them, they were determined to celebrate with no less fanfare. Apart from cuddling in the privacy of their apartment, the two also set aside time to shop for festive decorations. Only when Cheng Zheng took her traipsing across the city did Yun Jin finally realize that he was more familiar with the city than she was. She laughed at how ridiculous it must have been when Shen Ju An and she had taken him touring around the city all those months back. She also realized how desperate he must have been to fall-back on such an excuse.

The eve of the lunar new year, Cheng Zheng pasted auspicious couplets on the walls while Yun Jin personally took to the kitchen to prepare a feast. The food was surprisingly tasty and Cheng Zheng savoured it. Unlike traditionally where the atmosphere was festive and gathered family members added to the boisterous mood, they only had each other. But they certainly did not mind.

The new year was ushered in when the clock struck twelve. All over the city, fireworks went set. Cheng Zheng led Yun Jin to the balcony excitedly. Unfortunately, they were fenced in by tall buildings and they could only just make out the tiny display of fireworks in the distance. He was so annoyed that he stamped his feet indignantly like a child. Yun Jin held his hand and smiled at him; she didn't tell him that her night didn't need the illumination of the fireworks because with him by her side, the future didn't seem so bleak.

If time could freeze at that moment, how wonderful it would be. Many years in the future, Yun Jin would often look back on this moment and her heart would still wish the same. But she knew that people shouldn't be too greedy. In the coming days, no matter the hurdles, she was always grateful to have experienced this moment.

Yun Jin's final semester in university passed in the blink of an eye. Her batchmates who had yet to find a job still searched relentlessly while those who did adopted the lazy life of a pig by indulging in snacking and sleeping. Although school was on-going, many lectures experienced a dip in attendance. Even for the big school debate, the lecturers turned a blind eye to the absentees who had already found jobs as long as the absentee numbers weren't too staggering.

In contrast, Cheng Zheng was busier than ever. He was always diligent and he had no intention of slowing down even when he approached graduation. He had successfully signed on with a big architectural firm in G-city that was one of the six renowned architectural corporations in the country. Without relying on his family's influence, it was no easy feat to land such a job. However, Yun Jin was fully aware that although Cheng Zheng's father had not asked any favours, but given his longstanding friendship with Cheng Zheng's new boss, Cheng Zheng's future would indubitably be smoothsailing.