Chapter 34

Yun Jin sat numbly as she watched his car exit from her rearview mirror. Time crawled to a standstill as she tried to process the scene she had just witnessed. Soon, a bitter and acidic vile liquid rose up her throat. She quickly pushed the car door open and staggered to a side where she rested one hand on a palm tree for support as she doubled over and retched.

A guard on patrol recognized her and asked with concern "Ms Su, are you alright?"

Yun Jin waved her hands at him to indicate she was fine before limply making her way back onto the car. She caught sight of herself – her usual lightly made up face was as white as a sheet. Her forehead and palms were also covered in a thin coat of perspiration. She decided against changing her outfit and set off directly for the designated dinner venue.

When she arrived at the restaurant, Yu Hua was already there waiting. Yu Hua was shocked to see her pale face and dazed expression as she approached weakly. Yun Jin gulped down half a cup of water before recounting the events from the top.

After mulling it over, Yu Hua asked solemnly "What do you think Cheng Zheng hopes to achieve from this? Surely it can't be pure coincidence?"

Yun Jin herself was at a loss and she shook her head slowly "I don't know. Whatever his intentions are, whether it's a coincidence, the fact that he moved into the same building as I and followed me the other night ... It's too scary."

Yu Hua sighed outwardly "It's been such a long time. Now both of you are living separate lives, why did he bother?"

"Yu Hua do you think he's harbouring revenge? And she is merely a paid actress he hired to provoke me?" Yun Jin looked hopefully at her good friend, hoping to hear the response she desired.

Yu Hua hesitated. Finally, she decided to undertake the difficult role of bearer of the cold hard truth "I didn't tell you this earlier but actually Cheng Zheng has found himself a girlfriend. I heard it from Zhou ... Anyway it's been almost two years now. From what I've gathered, she's petite and pretty and studied the same course as he in university. She's apparently a few years our junior. Based on your earlier description, I'm 80% certain it's her."

Yun Jin listened intently with her head bowed. A long time later, she raised her head and the final flicker of hope in her eyes had been doused "Is that so?"

Seeing her dejected manner, Yu Hua softened "Yun Jin you're a smart woman so you should know this better than me – you've separated for four years now so it's inevitable that he's moved on. Why do this to yourself?"

"You're right. I am more aware than anybody else. Who am I to demand that he holds out for me? He has found someone ... I'd previously thought of this but seeing it with my very own eyes are completely different things. Why must he appear now? The person who previously loved only me is now with someone else." She laughed softly but her sadness was palpable.

"Yu Hua I'm such a joke aren't I? Before today, I was beginning to believe that I was living a good life and that even if I were to bump into him, I could force myself to smile and meet him face-on. But now I know that it was all wishful thinking on my part. The moment they appeared, I realised whatever I've accomplished in the past four years is not worth a mention. Whatever his goal is, he has certainly succeeded."

"I wonder who owed the other a debt in your previous lives." Yu Hua shook her head "But now you should at least have a game plan. I don't think Cheng Zheng's moving in to your block is just to vex you."

"He already has a pretty girl on his arm, what can I possibly come up with? I can only react according to the situation."

"Do you want to move to my place for the time being?" After Yu Hua's graduation from medical school, she was deployed to a hospital that was affiliated to her university and she had a room on the premises.