Chapter 30

Some things when broken can never be restored to its original form no matter how determined the mender. As for Cheng Zheng and Yun Jin, neither could bear to forsake their past together so they stuck doggedly to the frail semblance of a relationship.

Neither brought up that night ever again. Both wanted the relationship to last in the long run but they didn't know how to return to their glory days. They treaded carefully around the other – one misinterpreted word, one wrong look could hurt. As time passed, they conversed less and less and each tended to their own wounds silently.

The small apartment, which was once their cosy haven, was now a stifling enclave to them. Cheng Zheng's overtime shifts increased steadily and he would often return late in the night reeking of cigarettes and alcohol. Similarly, Yun Jin grew more reticent. She stuck to her old routine of playing Go on her computer after work though it ought to be noted that her standard never improved. When she had the time, she would still prepare dinner for two though she no longer asked if he was coming home to eat.

One day, Cheng Zheng was surprisingly punctual home. When he entered, she was busy in the kitchen. She was so absorbed in slicing the vegetables that she was completely unaware that he had returned. Cheng Zheng coughed lightly to get her attention. She stared at him dazed as the sharp chopping knife hung in mid-air which caused a chill to run down his spine.

"You're back. Dinner will be ready soon." She smiled at him before resuming the task at hand.

Cheng Zheng gingerly removed the knife from her grasp "There's no need to prepare dinner tonight. Zhou Zi Yi is here on assignment so he's organising a meet-up with all us old classmates. Turns out quite a number of us are here. Do you remember your table-mate Song Ming? The short bespectacled boy? He's now a technician with XX airline. Meng Xue and Zhou Jing are in Shenzhen and would make their way over tonight."

Having said his piece, he walked to the living room. When he didn't get any sort of acknowledgement from her, he added "Let's go together. I hear Mo Yu Hua will be there as well."

In the VIP lounge of Xing Ju night club, the dim disco lights, deafening music and sound of glasses clinking intermixed with rowdy merriment contributed to the fantastic atmosphere. What was originally intended to be a small-scale gathering amongst old friends had a turn-out of over ten people which included students from neighbouring classes.

It had been six, seven years since their graduation. The awkward teenagers had long grown up. Some had not seen each other since graduating and upon noting how much they've changed ever since, would sigh that time had been too fleeting.

Zhou Jing was married and currently working as a businesslady. She had a dignified air; there was no longer any trace of the country girl. Meng Xue was now an air stewardess with Shen Zhen airlines and was as demure as ever. In fact, she looked every bit the successful lady. Song Ming underwent the greatest transformation. The small boy who used to wear thick glasses was now broad shouldered. Although he couldn't be said to be handsome but he carried himself well and was gentlemanly.

Only Zhou Zi Yi remained the same carefree, impish ruffian as before. Luckily for him, he was still handsome and suave. Apparently, after he graduated from university, he followed in his father's footsteps and went into the property marketing, He even had a fiancee who was compatible in both looks and social standing. Rumour was that he intended to get married the moment the girl returned from her overseas studies.

Mo Yu Hua had long shed her chubby figure from her younger days though she still looked as ordinary as ever. But now, she had a scholarly disposition.

That night, the two who received the most attention was undeniably Cheng Zheng and Yun Jin. Everyone wanted to toast their model couple who finally got together despite all the past misunderstandings.