Chapter 21

While Cheng Zheng was cooped up in the hospital for a week, Yun Jin's internal angel and demon clashed for 7 days. A small voice niggled at her Yun Jin, why were you so worried about him after knowing he was on the same train as the SARS patient? That paralyzing fear, is it normal to feel that for someone you claim you don't love? When you dragged him to the hospital, why were your hands shaking? Compared with losing him, is the discrepancy in your social status so important?

Another voice countered, Su Yun Jin you're just finding excuses. You knew matters were not that dire since he was never in direct contact with the SARS patient. In fact, you suspected that all he had was honestly just the common cold. With his connections with the Zhang family, he would indubitably receive the best care so you needn't have interfered. If you continue to act like this, the last vestiges of your pride will disappear.

Both voices of reason had their points and their constant rebuttals made Yun Jin very weary.

Cheng Zheng called her from the hospital daily and would complain about the unfairness of his imprisonment and his boredom. Whenever he heard Yun Jin's mild replies, he would question what went wrong – when he was admitted, she had been so anxious over him. What had happened since then?

The second day of his admission, Yun Jin finally received a call from her mother. Apparently, uncle had been so afraid of contracting the SARS virus in the populated city that he moved the family of three to his old place in the countryside. Traffic there was sparse and people few; it was an excellent hide-out till the SARS epidemic had passed and this was the reason her mother hadn't been able to contact her.

"You won't blame mommy for not giving you a heads-up right?" mommy asked worriedly.

"It's alright mom. It's great to know you're okay. When I wasn't able to contact you, I was really worried."

"Of course not! You're my beloved mommy."

I'm just regretful that when I needed you most, you forgot about me.

The day Cheng Zheng was discharged, Yun Jin decided to go to the hospital after all. However, she didn't enter the wards but waited at the hospital foyer. Just as she had expected, she wasn't the only one there to see him; someone else had already attended to the administrative procedures for discharge.

There was an entourage that accompanied him as he entered the foyer. Amongst them was what looked like a thirty-odd stately lady who spoke in hushed tones with a middle-aged man beside her. Cheng Zheng walked in their midst with a beautiful young lady on his arm.

The chauffeur pulled into the porch but none of them was eager to leave. Neither had they noticed Yun Jin who was standing in a corner.

Yun Jin hesitated; she couldn't decide if she should approach them or take her leave. Just as she was wrecked with indecision, a person she scarcely expected to see emerged to join Cheng Zheng's entourage.

Ju An? It was hard to describe the shock Yun Jin was in seeing an unexpected person appearing in an unexpected venue.

In the past two years, Shen Ju An and Yun Jin still kept in contact but their conversation revolved around general wellbeing. Thus this was the first time Yun Jin had seen him in person post-graduation. He looked pretty much the same except that his work attire gave him an added aura of maturity. He was a shadow of the boy Yun Jin had met in the library, the boy who used to bend over his books in concentration.

Unexpectedly, Shen Ju An was the first to notice Yun Jin in her corner. If he was surprised, he didn't show it. He appeared to consider Yun Jin's appearance as within his expectations. He first sent her a smile before turning to speak to Cheng Zheng.

Then, the entire entourage looked Yun Jin's way. Cheng Zheng appeared to attempt to shake off the young lady's hand as he half-ran to where Yun Jin was, a huge smile spreading across his face. Yun Jin covered her mouth as she laughed. He looked energetic, completely unlike a "patient" who was being discharged.